Is Cottonwood really that bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottandlorig

Dec 18, 2010
Davison, MI.
Over last summer I cut and bucked a 34" diameter 50+ foot Cottonwood tree and I have tried since to give it away and I can't find any takers.
I myself in the past would have loved something like this ( down and already bucked ) Yea it burns fast, the BTU rating is terrible, but down and bucked? Free? I don't get it.

So am I wrong? or is Cottonwood really that bad and not worth the time?

If you need wood and it is availbe it is fine if you do not over fire a stove with it. Lots of people try to avoid it but it produces heat and if it is availbe it will work. If it were all I had availbe I would burn it.

Every once in while we cut one down and use it. The only thing I recall is it spits a bit more than other woods when I open the door to the stove.

I get sad when I burn cottonwood so I pass on it.

Like any poplar species it's not heavy, but it will heat. Check with a senior center that may know some chilly elders.

Matt

Cottonwood gets a bad rap in these parts but it is not all bad wood. Actually makes pretty good lumber if you can keep it from warping. For firewood, one just has to remember that it burns hot and fast with few coals. It is not the best wood for night burning but works great for daytime.

Just think of those souls out west. Cottonwood is some of the very best woods for them simply because they do not have the variety of hardwoods that we enjoy. They get along just fine.

Methinks cottonwood usually gets thrown into sort of the same category as pine. "Don't burn that stuff!" But you can indeed burn it. Also, this is free stuff!

WooDpSycho said:
Over last summer I cut and bucked a 34" diameter 50+ foot Cottonwood tree and I have tried since to give it away and I can't find any takers.
I myself in the past would have loved something like this ( down and already bucked ) Yea it burns fast, the BTU rating is terrible, but down and bucked? Free? I don't get it.

Have a monster cottonwood 1/4 away from the house down but not buck. If it was the last log around I would take it but not until then!

Cottonwood is kinda like the ugly girl back in high school, it works if that is all ya got.

I'd take free Cottonwood any time. Sure, it isn't Red Oak, but it burns and allows the Red Oak to stay in the stacks for later. Maybe you are living around a bunch of firewood snobs. Nothin' worse than firewood snobbery. Poor Cottonwood.

Wood Duck said:
I'd take free Cottonwood any time. Sure, it isn't Red Oak, but it burns and allows the Red Oak to stay in the stacks for later. Maybe you are living around a bunch of firewood snobs. Nothin' worse than firewood snobbery. Poor Cottonwood.
Firewood snobs is that what you call having oak,ash(both green and white) mulberry, silver maple, and passing on cottonwood. I call it a wise use of your time.

oldspark said:
Wood Duck said:
Firewood snobs is that what you call having oak,ash(both green and white) mulberry, silver maple, and passing on cottonwood. I call it a wise use of your time.

+1 if the oak 3 time better! Work smarter not harder.

WooDpSycho said:

I'll use Cottonwood if there is no pine to be had because its very plentiful out here and there's not a whole lot of good hardwood to choose from.

I use it mixed with oak. I have quite a few on my property, that I am gradually thining out to let the other trees grow. It burns hot and fast so I use it mostly during the shoulder season and during the day. Dave.

oldspark said:
Cottonwood is kinda like the ugly girl back in high school, it works if that is all ya got.

I beg to differ . . . ugly Gurls try harder because they know they got to . . . Cottonwood don't put out

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
oldspark said:

I beg to differ . . . ugly Gurls try harder because they know they got to . . . Cottonwood don't put out

lol

i have limited space so only want the good stuff........ feel bad sometimes a friend of mine who gives me a lot of wood tried to give me tulip and sassafras.... i told him sorry was to busy but to put a free sign n give it away some one will take , he was amazed had people all over it so it worked out I think I will pass on cottenwood to burnt some couple yrs ago not bad but not the good either........ Sorry...Im just a spoiled northeasterner who has access to all the hard wood one could want.... knock on wood.....

oldspark said:
smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
oldspark said:

lol
+1

Seems as if we know too much?

she will season faster then alot of other woods.

she may not put out much but she is quick and easy most times.

When I was cutting wood last winter on the "Parks Highway" project near Willow AK,
it was incredible to drive by hundreds of nice logs. I thought I was in "wood heaven".
When I stopped to get a load, all the logs were cottonwood. I drove on to the section being fresh cut & got birch & spruce. (birch first)
I did see some folks cutting the cotton wood, but they were "city slickers" with the fancy Honda 1/2 truck, 1/2 car vehicles & 4 - 5 rounds were a load.
None of the serious, knowledgeable wood cutters were loading any up.
It (the cotton wood logs) eventually got pushed to the tree line or ground up. (Makes good compost, rather quickly)

For me, the effort (if any other type of wood is available) to process cottonwood into fire wood, well, IMO it's
just not worth the effort. The energy it would take to drive, cut & process would be more than the energy returned from heat.

if given options it would not be the first choice.

On the other hand I have 2 good sized cottonwoods downed and bucked, I will use them.

probably couldn't get anyone to take them anyway.

mecreature said:
if given options it would not be the first choice.

On the other hand I have 2 good sized cottonwoods downed and bucked, I will use them.

probably couldn't get anyone to take them anyway.

Yea in Indiana it would be a tough sale!

Lots of it around here,especially near river bottoms,lower moist bluffs etc.Used a lot for 'expendable' pallets & crates,dunnage,rough bridge decking,other low grade items.I burned a few free sawmill slabs as kindling some years back,wouldnt ever pay for it or travel any distance for it again though.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
oldspark said:

haha 'tis true ;-P

oldspark said:
ugly and smelly.lol

I responded to a CL ad last for where some dude was offering random "firewood". Supposedly, the guy had no idea what species it was, and I didn't recognize it. Seeing as how the wood was already bucked and being the city slicker that I am ;) I made a couple trips with my car and ended out getting a little over 2/3s of a cord. While I admit it's not the greatest wood in the world, there's certainly species that are worse (specifically willow) and it was definitely seasoned in a year. If I were you, I'd try to pass it off on CL as "mystery" wood. Chances are you'll get a taker and he'll be OK with his "score".

Status
Not open for further replies.