Is IBC dot com dead and gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2008
Wisconsin
I received a PM recently wondering if JA had left the building and turned out the lights.

I had replied that I don't care -- but my curiosity kills me

The website was terminally injured when the pellet threads were split off. Most of the top posters became annoyed and left -- I surmise for here. I found other places to lurk.

So just wondering after all.

Kind Regards
Sting

JA had posted that the previous problem was with the hardware. Sounded like he had a drive go out. Maybe he is still having problems like that yet.

Sting, have you got your boiler ready for the season yet? Any new updates that you are trying this year?

I see IBP is still up and running.

It hasn't worked for me either for a few days for sure.

humph -- I never look at the pellet site.

Ready -- no

End of season last -- I had a close encounter with my table saw - Rather than fail over to NG backup -- The next day I just pulled the boiler room mains and haven't been back in that part of my little place.

I Wonder what a pile of fertilizer Ill find when I decide to visit Baby Boiler next month? The smoke pipe for sure will be shot - maybe the boiler room is flooded?

Don't care!

For now.

12 ton of paper pellets in the shed - a skid or three of left over Pro Pellets - ill call for a delivery of Space Shuttle corn in December

I haven't been able to get on either for a week or so, having withdrawals! lol

Yea, there is a LOT of good info there on the Wiki's and some very knowledgeable people that refuse to come here............

Just checked it and it's still not working. Hope it gets fixed soon. Us Corn Burners really like the IBC site. Very knowledgible people on the site. I've learned most of what I know about pellet/corn stoves on IBC. This is a VERY good site as well!!!!

AR

ARGlock said:
Just checked it and it's still not working. Hope it gets fixed soon. Us Corn Burners really like the IBC site. Very knowledgible people on the site. I've learned most of what I know about pellet/corn stoves on IBC. This is a VERY good site as well!!!!

AR

Sure is, We got some good people hanging around. Once the season hits full stride the troups come out to play.

We try to make this place the best pellet site there is! Could use some more corn burners though! hint!

I burn corn and pellets,whichever I can get cheaper. I have learned a whole lot from both sites, really missing IBC, hope its back up soon. It is great to have placed like these to go to for help from good people.

I emailed JA last night he said he is working on it.
This was his reply

"It is broken at the moment. Hard drive problems. Hopefully I can get it working tonight or tomorrow"

I know nothing about the workings of forums but doesn't that all work on a web hosting site and not on your home computer?

tjnamtiw said:
I know nothing about the workings of forums but doesn't that all work on a web hosting site and not on your home computer?

Unless you home PC is the host. Any PC could be a host server with the right software and storage. Probably why the main page works(that could be a separate server linked to the actaul host).

tjnamtiw said:

I'm pretty sure he has his own equipment.

AR

traceroute to forum.thatplace.com (216.188.197.130)

traceroute to thatplace.com (216.188.197.109)

The forum is on a different IP address and quite possibly a different server but it doesn't have to be.

You get no response on pinging the forum IP address which means the box isn't there, the routing is messed up, the software isn't running, or the hardware is not working.

Sting, Where did you get the paper pellets from? I thought somewhere in the valley there is a company making them. Is the diameter 3/8" or 1/2"? How bad is the ash in them?

Looks like a normal residential pellet.

I was burning them mixed with corn and or pro pellets in my automatic mix/feed system last year and I wasn't paying much attention to business. Then I ran out of corn and pellets ( was too lazy to go back to the barn ) so was finishing off on straight paper.

Well I never had such crap - they simply will not gravity feed over a 3 inch or smaller fallout and if they do - the fall out is almost vertical with the cone only expanding out maybe an inch in diameter - every 6 inches of fall. I had not expected pellets to drop in price as they have this fall and I should have not ASSumed I could get what was expected - how many times have I criticized others for taking a salesman's claims to heart DAAAA.... I still get my best output from a two corn one pellet mix input.

As I say, I now own 12 + ton of this junk - bought because the price was ???cheep - but after building an elaborate bin agitation system to make them fall/feed - the btu output on straight paper sucks. Seat of the pants estimate is half. That written they do not live up to claims. 200 a ton pellets or 165 a ton corn is cheaper and FAR FAR less annoying.

Another reason I walked away from my boiler room and never looked back this summer.

I hope ibc is not dead. People in this forum seem to be very down on corn. I'm amaized at the price some people will pay for pellets.

Tim

Sting, say the space shuttle isn't empty! Say it isn't so! I think there is space for both forums, I find myself flipping between the two for various reason, primarily the fact that there are great users on both sites. IBC is fairly local to me also, so there's that.

Want to sell any of that paper Sting? I'm out of dog food....

harttj I myself am not down on corn. In Maine the only corn I have found is per bag and it wasn't competitive with wood pellets.

smalltown said:
harttj I myself am not down on corn. In Maine the only corn I have found is per bag and it wasn't competitive with wood pellets.

Same here. If I could have fit it into my floor plan, there would be a Bixby sitting in my living room right now. IMHO, that is the most advanced, well thought out stove on the market. Too bad they had so many internal problems. Also, corn here is a bit of a problem to get too.

Corn is more money here then pellets, even if you buy crappy pellets. All I've been able to find is deer corn which as I understand it has a higher moisture level then what corn burners want.

Czech said:
Sting, say the space shuttle isn't empty! Say it isn't so! I think there is space for both forums, I find myself flipping between the two for various reason, primarily the fact that there are great users on both sites. IBC is fairly local to me also, so there's that.

Want to sell any of that paper Sting? I'm out of dog food....
Sure

You need dog food -- I don't think this stuff is even fit for that

Space shuttle is MT - although next month I may auger in the wood pellets I have and feed them into the fuel mix as degree day load increases.

First time I haven't already prepaid for the years worth and scheduled deliveries -- I may not burn any corn this year

As baby boiler fails to keep up on the "dog food" diet - Ill just bring big brother (NF fired) boiler on line to help out. With the price of NG that's what I should be doing anyway. It Depends - Let me get back to you in that.

I've been pay as I go for 5+ years, and now the farmer isn't making pellets this year! Ah well, never have I paid more tha $200 a ton for anything, guess we'll see what the year brings. Wonder if landolakes
has spilled any rabbit food lately? Funny about IBC, I was on there a week or so ago to get another farmer's phone, all was well then? Still offline now...

Status
Not open for further replies.