IS IT ME OR DOES ALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Oak split into almost perfect rectangular shapes instead of wedges or half rounds like most everything else.

So now when I stack it its hard to get air space.

Im splitting 24" diameter by 24" long rounds and its amazing how they are all square or rectangular with very few wedges..

Sorry meant to post this in :-S the wood shed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not the gnarly damn stuff I've been splitting since April....Some of the Red/Black isnt too bad,but other is pretty twisted/crooked & most all the White or Bur is quite stringy.Well worth the effort though of course.

I usually blame the guy doing the swinging for the square ones, but that's me.
With big rounds though, I really don't want a whole bunch of oak shingles.
:)

I prefer the square ones....easier to stack...easier to pack the stove good and tight.

I try to split a good amount of squares for corner stacking, plenty of pies for in between.

KC

That has been my experience.

Attachments

• 091911 fresh oak on the scale2.jpg
    091911 fresh oak on the scale2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.