Is it me or does this seem wrong? CL post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Ok, I was looking around at CL tonight and came upon this one.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/zip/1372938432.html
Something just doesn't seem right about this since why would someone be trying to give away 5 cords of wood just purchased this summer? Sounds more like those ads where everything in the house is free and the owners come home from vacation to find an empty house. I wish there was a way to report it as suspicious. Is it just me that finds this odd?

Yeah, that's gotta be a scam or some kind of vendetta.......someone trying to settle a score or something. I saw a post on our CL about two years ago--it actually sounded kinda legit. It said "Leaving Country in 5 days for new job--everything must go!!" It went on to say that this person had just gotten her dream job but she had to be in London in one week, so she was giving away just about everything, furniture, kitchen stuff, washer dryer, even her 1995 Camry......anyway, it sounded suspicious so I did a reverse look-up on the address and got the phone number and called them, turns out it was an ex-boyfriend trying to get back at her........

The one you posted sounds VERY suspicious--I'd bet at least $2 that it's B.S............

NP

Yes it does sound suspicious.... I had a CL story this afternoon myself....
A local poster claimed to have "free firewood" near my home. I e-mailed him to ask for more info... how long it had been down, how much there was, and what kind of tree it was. He assured me it was Oak.
I got there and was amazed at the size of the tree he had taken down himself, and the amount of wood.
Luckily, I walked to the top and found a few old dried leaves..... sweetgum...... I thanked him and left.
I hear that it's nearly impossible to split and doesn't burn as well as other woods.

The good news, on the way home I found two huge willow oaks that were down in a commercial lot. One has been down for a year or so from a storm, the other was recently cut, and another will be cut soon. I found a contact and was promised all three trees. I bucked and loaded the storm damaged tree immediately. It smelled like cat piss. I hope the smell goes away. I know for sure its willow oak. We've been losing lots of them to canker worm around here.

its been flaged

I feel good. It was just updated as a scam with the information as to the real story!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.