IS IT ME OR DOES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
ALL Oak split into almost perfect rectangular shapes instead of wedges or half rounds like most everything else.

So now when I stack it its hard to get air space.

Im splitting 24†diameter by 24†long rounds and its amazing how they are all square or rectangular with very few wedges..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I never split rounds that large into wedges because they'd be too large for my stove to burn efficiently, instead I make rectangular splits like yours. Around here most rounds that big are oak, but sometimes I get other woods and split them rectangular. I don't think it is only oak that splits that way, but oak does it very nicely.

I to end up with rectangular splits from larger rounds. Sometimes it's where the heartwood and sapwood separate. If they don't end up that small I split the 12inch wide splits in half. Just my guess how I end up with splits that size. If you don't like that wood let me know I will be right over get rid of it for you, Ha Ha. Nothing better than that oak.

To me, rectangular is the holy grail of split shape. Been trying to achieve that for 15 years using an 8 lb. maul. Too little success. What's the secret to making 'em like that?

Gark said:
To me, rectangular is the holy grail of split shape. Been trying to achieve that for 15 years using an 8 lb. maul. Too little success. What's the secret to making 'em like that?

A Timberwolf TW5 :)

Gark said:

Fiskars here.... I split for rectangles no matter what wood I am working with. I don't like stacking wedges, guess I just get lazy. So I end up with flats (from edges) and rectangles of different sizes for the most part. The Fiskars does a great job of slicing them up for me.

Gark said:

Split into "slabs" and then crack those into your rectangles. Oak is very obediant!

Mike it doesn't look to me as if you have a problem stacking so air can circulate. Also you no doubt have noticed that I like to stack the ends of our stacks with the rectangular splits as they stack really nice that way and a lot stronger than using the wedge shaped splits.

If the round is big enough, you can make rectangles out of any species. i have Oak, Ash, Cherry, and Black Locust rectangles in my stacks.
Here's some Black Locust rectangles.
DSC06766.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.