Is it safe to store seasoned wood in a wooden shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Simple question - if I fully season my wood (i.e. down to 20% or less MC) for awhile out in the open, can I then safely toss it into my wooden enclosed shed for STORAGE without risking termites/problems?

Should I still stack it away from the walls and off the ground?

Thanks all,

Joe

It will be fine. Just stack it up. Bugs don't really like wood that is dry. Ask the untreated 2x6's in my 90 year old shed (wash house) that I store wood in.

Out here in the Ozarks, termites fly to new sites in addition to rising up from the ground. I am not sure any guarantee against building termites exist in our area. Termites in firewood is not a problem we have. Perhaps they have better options in the woods. That, or we don't properly season our wood and it is all burned up before the termites find it.

I think you'll be fine. Termites aren't a big problem here in PA. I think you might get the odd spider, earwig, and misc. other bugs, but nothing more than you'd get with the wood outdoors and nothing that will cause damage. I store lots of kindling in my shed and have never had any problem.

Seven cord in the shed backed up to my garage hope that termites aren't a problem. Never have been before.

Member Todd has a shed pretty much like it and hasn't reported any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.