Is my Venting too old/worn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
The guy i bought my stove from was the original owner and bought the stove back in 2005/2006 . The vent i got with it was selkirk metalbestos, i hooked up and adjusted the vent to work on my stove/setup. Now on start up when the smoke is just smoldering i can see it come out underneath the Flue metal tape at the stove adapter /tee. Should i just buy all new simpson duravent and redo my whole setup. I RTV'd just about every joint except where the tee ataches to the stove adapter. I metal taped that, but once the fire gets big the smoke/smell disappear and its like it never leaked.

So what should i do get rid of the vent and get a new one or just reseal the connection.

FireManDan said:
The guy i bought my stove from was the original owner and bought the stove back in 2005/2006 . The vent i got with it was selkirk metalbestos, i hooked up and adjusted the vent to work on my stove/setup. Now on start up when the smoke is just smoldering i can see it come out underneath the Flue metal tape at the stove adapter /tee. Should i just buy all new simpson duravent and redo my whole setup. I RTV'd just about every joint except where the tee ataches to the stove adapter. I metal taped that, but once the fire gets big the smoke/smell disappear and its like it never leaked.

So what should i do get rid of the vent and get a new one or just reseal the connection.

Being a Fireman. Then you know 1st hand the Dangers of CO.. Make sure you have at least 2 CO detectors in your home. One in the "Stove Room" and another located near the bedrooms.

As for the Vent. Lowes, HD, and some Local Hardware stores, sell a 3" or 4" Pellet vent kit. Its $259.99 in my area. Its a small cost to ensure you and your families safety. I would replace it. If you still smell smoke at start-up, then the CO is there after the Fire is started. No smoke when you have flame. The vent is only 5-6 yrs old. But being assembled and dis-assembled, Sealed and unsealed.... IMO I would replace it. Just bought one for my Fathers Englander, That I got for him this summer. It comes with EVERYTHING to install an Englander. Has enough vent to run the 3 ft Vert inside or outside your home.

Here is a link I just found... Same price. http://heating-and-cooling.hardware...ts/pellet-stove-chimney-stove-kit-105094.aspx

Yeah im thinking after i get back from maine i will buy all new. We have one CO detector in the 2nd floor hallway but i plan on placing 2 more with the digital readout around the 1st floor. As far as the vent i vent it into a existing masonry chimney so all i need are a few pieces of the new vent to make it work. I know personally id feel much better knowing the vent is all new and no smell is present.

That will make it much cheaper and the Peace of mind knowing that its "Sealed".

BTW. Welcome. Your gonna love the Pellet Stove. Its "Addicting". Get ready. Reading from some of your other posts. You are gettig the bug already. Okies are a pretty good pellet. Some would argue, that there the Best. Congrats and good luck.

eah i defitnitely have the bug i turned it on last night with mwp in the hopper. I had it on heat range 1 and blower on 1 and the temp at the blower was at 260ish for just getting started. I really cant wait to see the savings and not having to buy constant oil supply.

The original owner extremely anal about this stove and cleaned it religously so its pretty much new looking , got it from my boss's cousin for $400.00 back in march!

Status
Not open for further replies.