Is my wood ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sappy

Jan 30, 2011
Vermont upper valley
I recently purchased a new Woodstock Soapstone Fireview woodstove. I have around 8 plus cords on hand that I have been putting together for the future. Out of that amount I bought 2 cords of kiln dried to get started from the same place Woodstock buys theitr kiln dried. I have 2 other cords of maple which is showing 8 or 9 on the moisure meter on the ends and 19 to low 20s when I split an already small piece in half.
The Kiln dried interesting enough has been stacked properly since delivered in early May and covered with tin as the others all are.JUst for S and giggles I cut a few of the Kiln in half today and put the moisture meter on it and surprisingly so it read around 22 to 23 % on some of the pieces fresh cut in half. This is how they advertise it to be less than 25% moisure. My thinking is that the Kiln dried smelling as fresh from quite some distance as it does and advertised to be used right off, I always thought wood should be less than 20% anyway. Now the next years not a prob as I am getting enough ahead to make a differance in the future. This was a signifanant investment for me to make this year, the stove, the hearth, getting expensive Kiln dried so that my other stuff will work down the road. Please tell me that this will work as decribed with the stove I got or I am sunk as I have no time or money left for anything else. Have been working my a_ _ off getting the 8 cords together and still have 12 cords or so of soft wood to cut for my sugaring business yet by fall.

22 - 23% isn't bad and will probably be to 20% by the time you need it.

I am curious, do you happen to know the price difference between a cord of wood that's kiln-dried vs. not? I can't say that I have ever ran across an ad in my area that sells kiln-dried firewood. I'm sure that the place I buy my wood from is no where near 20% moisture.

Im not sure I would cover it unless it was going to rain, let the sun beat down on the stacks, either way you should be ok by Nov with 4 cords and two already there and two others close.

You will be fine, IMO anything under 25% is good to go. I bet your wood will be under 20% in another month or two.

Won't take long for it to drop further MC indoors in a heated, low-absolute-humidity space. That works great for me.

Do you know the species of wood that is 23%?

The Wood is from Colton Enterprises here in VT. They advertise mostly Maple Birch and beech. I think the cord price delivered was around $300 at the time. I bought 2 cords. I did not have much choice as I am starting back with house wood this year after previosly burning an older soapstone at this house years earlier. After this year I will have a good rotation in place hopefully. With my sugaring sideline I have trees that some can be dragged off of the leased properties at times to put away for the house as they fall prey to storms and such. I was mostly hoping to do this whole thing right and safe with the new soapstone and the combuster. It has been so warm here that we have not done any breakin fires as of yet. I should add that we had installed a new hearth by my brother in law and a 6inch close clearance[double walled] selkirk stack.

Thanks for the reply Sappy. I burn mostly elm and mulberry. Never tried birch or beech. When I buy it's $175/cord. Only problem is he cuts and splits it the day before he delivers, but calls it seasoned because it came from a dead tree. So needless to say, I was sweeping my chimney every 2-3 weeks last winter and had a tough time heating. I would just listen to the steam coming out the ends of the splits. I will have to look around, and hopefully run across someone who kiln dries their firewood. I have yet to burn actually seasoned wood in our stove.

sappy said:
The Wood is from Colton Enterprises here in VT. They advertise mostly Maple Birch and beech. I think the cord price delivered was around $300 at the time. I bought 2 cords. I did not have much choice as I am starting back with house wood this year after previosly burning an older soapstone at this house years earlier. After this year I will have a good rotation in place hopefully. With my sugaring sideline I have trees that some can be dragged off of the leased properties at times to put away for the house as they fall prey to storms and such. I was mostly hoping to do this whole thing right and safe with the new soapstone and the combuster. It has been so warm here that we have not done any breakin fires as of yet. I should add that we had installed a new hearth by my brother in law and a 6inch close clearance[double walled] selkirk stack.
As long as the majority or your wood is not oak, I would think you'll be set for this winter.

sappy said:
I recently purchased a new Woodstock Soapstone Fireview woodstove. I have around 8 plus cords on hand that I have been putting together for the future. Out of that amount I bought 2 cords of kiln dried to get started from the same place Woodstock buys theitr kiln dried. I have 2 other cords of maple which is showing 8 or 9 on the moisure meter on the ends and 19 to low 20s when I split an already small piece in half.
The Kiln dried interesting enough has been stacked properly since delivered in early May and covered with tin as the others all are.JUst for S and giggles I cut a few of the Kiln in half today and put the moisture meter on it and surprisingly so it read around 22 to 23 % on some of the pieces fresh cut in half. This is how they advertise it to be less than 25% moisure. My thinking is that the Kiln dried smelling as fresh from quite some distance as it does and advertised to be used right off, I always thought wood should be less than 20% anyway. Now the next years not a prob as I am getting enough ahead to make a differance in the future. This was a signifanant investment for me to make this year, the stove, the hearth, getting expensive Kiln dried so that my other stuff will work down the road. Please tell me that this will work as decribed with the stove I got or I am sunk as I have no time or money left for anything else. Have been working my a_ _ off getting the 8 cords together and still have 12 cords or so of soft wood to cut for my sugaring business yet by fall.

Sappy, it is good to see you post again. I predict you will do just fine. You've worked hard and spent some big dollars but come winter you will begin receiving the benefits of that work and dollars. Methinks the wood will be fine and that Fireview will love it. Shoot, you'll soon have more wood on hand that I do! You may not catch up with Solar or Zap though.

Hey Dennis, good to hear from you as well. I don't think I ever am going to get as far ahead as some of you folks. Lol. Some of the stuff as mentioned is mid hi 20s on meter when cut in half. I am hoping these will be okay for that combuster as well. Do you know when the pig roast is and if you will be attending? I live about 7 miles from the showroom, less as the crow flies. I would love to be able to meet you sometime if you were coming.

Sappy, the Woodstock Open House is October 8 and we are planning on attending. Might you be there too?

Oh Man Dennis, that is good for folks visiting the uppervalley area here as that time is usually peak folliage here. Not so good for me as the company I work for has an annual caselot sale where I have worked around 13 to 14 hour shifts at every year. Man I really wanted to go to that thing to. Oh well I'm sure it will be a good trip for you.

Sorry to hear that Sappy. Yes on the color tour; it should be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.