Is nothing easy??? Time to switch gears

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Ok well, after much research...i have more questions! The minimum hearth pad size for my stove is 43 deep by 38 wide. And the back of the stove has to be 17 inches from a combustible. (Wall in this case) the max that we can have this stove protrude into the room is 43 inches. If it comes out at 50 inches it is a deal breaker and i will have to scrap the idea of a woodstove. Now my stove has a rear heat shield and we were only going to build a hearth pad, but i spoke to the guys putting in my chimney and he said that if i put durock and tiles on the wall with a 1 inch air gap behind it, i can get closer to the wall than the 17 quoted in the manual because it is not considered a combustible now. Is that true? Cause if it is i can finally have my wood stove!!! I wouldnt go closer than 8 inches, and the black pipe is going to be double walled so that shouldnt be an issue

What do you experts say??

If, and only if, the appliance manufacturer specifically states in the owner/installation documentation that the rear clearance to combustibles as shown in the manual installation tables/diagrams may be reduced by the use of an approved wall shield can this method be used. If the book says you can do it, then we can guide you through it. Rick

Reactions: ScotO and DAKSY
The maual says that different manufacturers produce accessories that will alow reduced clearances that the testing jotul has put forth in the manual and that there are also N.F.P.A.211 code to consider if you wish to build your own wall and floor protection. so... They dont say i cant, and dont say i can....

I'm no lawyer but the first sentence tells me that it is okay.

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like a call to Jotul may be in order. Maybe they can give you a definate answer regarding the supplementary heat shield. I would think you should be fine, that is what those supplementary shields are for......but you wanna cover all the bases prior to commiting to the project.

Do a but more research here. You'll find how to build that rights hearth. Meaning what makes a combustible wall. With the proper air space installer is correct. However,mentioned above find the manual. Don't build something unsafe.

Welcome, and good luck.

It seems that the 43x38 minimun pad size assumes that the pad will sit 9" away from the wall. If you want the pad all the way against the wall by the manual The pad will have to be 52x38, but the actual stove front will only be at 34" from the wall (if my math is correct the stove is 17" deep?) . So by building an air gap you want to reduce the rear clearance to 9". I doubt that you'd get buy off from Jotul to do that. Mainly because they have know way to know what your construction will consist of and no way to test it. Manufacturers only have the ability to test their product against a standard install. It would be near impossible to test every install scenario that people come up with and I doubt they would assume the liability that your construction is done right. I would post some pics of the install area and see if anyone has any ideas. One may be that the pad is built flush with the floor to prevent a trip hazard. and that would provide the proper clearances and still have the stove front at 34" away from the wall. Manual states that the floor protection must be 3/8 non-combustable mill board so the floor could be cut out to accomodate that.

Ok well, after much research...i have more questions! The minimum hearth pad size for my stove is 43 deep by 38 wide. And the back of the stove has to be 17 inches from a combustible. (Wall in this case) the max that we can have this stove protrude into the room is 43 inches. If it comes out at 50 inches it is a deal breaker and i will have to scrap the idea of a woodstove. Now my stove has a rear heat shield and we were only going to build a hearth pad, but i spoke to the guys putting in my chimney and he said that if i put durock and tiles on the wall with a 1 inch air gap behind it, i can get closer to the wall than the 17 quoted in the manual because it is not considered a combustible now. Is that true? Cause if it is i can finally have my wood stove!!! I wouldnt go closer than 8 inches, and the black pipe is going to be double walled so that shouldnt be an issue

What do you experts say??

Not an expert, just someone who's lived with several wood stoves for decades. I have one of our stoves in a room which, due to the layout and stairwell, the stove can only work near one wall. I need that stove; it heats the back half of our cottage. So, I have the stove about seven inches or so from the drywall wall. What I did was build a double heat shield of heavy-gauge sheet metal. In other words, from the wall outward, I have drywall, then an air space, then the shield, then another air space, then another shield. It's been this way for 25 yr. or so, and the drywall never gets hot. I measured the temp. last year, and I don't recall what it was, but I do know I chuckled and felt good. It was barely warmer than room temp, if that. I have heard of folks putting a triple-shield up, but in my case, it isn't necessary.

So, there are options. I cannot speak to what a manufacturer would say.

suprz, reading the manual it looks like Jotul has given the go ahead.

wall protect.PNG

Be sure that the air space behind the wall is open at the top and bottom to allow good ventilation behind it.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Status
Not open for further replies.