Is Rear Vent Less Desirable Than Top Vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I had a Vermot Castings Encore before and I really liked it. It was super easy to get a fire going, great heat, and clean burning. Do rear vent stoves draw as well as top vent? Are they harder to light? Any other problems? I'm considering putting a Hearthstone Heritage in and it'll go in front of my existing fireplace. So it'll have to be rear vent.
Thanks,
-john

If you line the chimney and seal it off good, I would guess you'll love the Heritage. I've sold a number of them installed in that configuration before with no complaints. I agree that the old school Encores with the bypass damper were faster to light, but thats more of an internal design issue than a flue position issue. Buy the Heritage and enjoy the winter.

Hello

A Rear vent holds the heat in the stove better for more warmth. So that is the best way to go if you can do it.

Good Luck

I think the main downside to rear vent stoves is the increased rear clearance due to the flue pipe sticking out the back. However, seeing as you are installing it in front of an existing fireplace that presumably is a non-issue for you.

As far as draft goes - having a rear vent does rather obviously require 90* of bend before you are vertical so there clearly is a penalty there, but I expect that the stove makers know this and have accounted for it in the installation guidelines - every stove is different in design anyway and thus drafts slightly differently.

Thanks for the info. All of the guidance I've seen suggests that a flex pipe be used from the stove vent to the pipe in the chase. This approach doesn't require a 90* and it's the direction I intend to go.

I don't yet know what's already in my chase. If there's an 8" pipe, I was told I could just drop a 6" liner through that. Will that work, or should I plan to just replace whatever pipe is there?

-john

Status
Not open for further replies.