Is sealant of some type used when assembling crimped vent pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
This is for a natural draft oil boiler vent pipe, but I assume it could be valid for other fuels as well. There are air gaps at where the crimped end go into the non-crimped end of the pipe. Is there some kind of sealant that closes the gap, or isn't it really necessary?

You can use furnace cement. Not a bad idea to keep from introducing cold air and lowering flue temps. For an oil boiler, I'm not sure I would bother if the draft is good. Have you checked it with a manometer?

We have always used furnace cement in those crimped joints. It is cheap and easy to put on and you will get better drafting.

Backwoods Savage said:
We have always used furnace cement in those crimped joints. It is cheap and easy to put on and you will get better drafting.

I thought you do not want to have too much draft on an oil burner? This is why they have a room air damper installed to slow the draft by allowing room air to to enter flue and get the highest efficiency. I was just reading about it the other day...

I use 500 degree fiberglass tape. Seems to be holding up better than screws and seals off the pipe joints nicely. So far has withstood repeated firings well over rated temp and has held pipe togther nicely during removal and cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.