Is the igniter temp constant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robalp

Mar 1, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
I am just curious, is the igniter on my NPS40 always at the same temp when the stove is running, or does it cycle on and off, or vary it's temp? I assume that the Auger speed control does nothing more then set the feed rate of pellets, and has nothing to do with igniter temp.

Rob

The igniterin your stove should only come "on" when your stove forst starts up. When you turn it on or when Thermostat calls for heat. (If your unit has a thermostat function on/off) Otherwise once your POF (proof of fire sensor acknowledges there is a fire. The ingiter shuts off and your fire is kept going by the constant feed of pellets. Until heat demand is met. Then stove shuts off and repeats the cycle. Hope this helps.

The igniter will only be on when the stove is first turned on for approx 5-10 minutes until there is fire. After that it turns off.

Thanks for the reply. I get it now. Not sure but I think I might need to replace the proof of fire Switch (low limit?), It looks like the igniter stays on. It is always glowing when the unit is on... Or is that just from the heat of the burn pot?

Rob

robalp said:
Thanks for the reply. I get it now. Not sure but I think I might need to replace the proof of fire Switch (low limit?), It looks like the igniter stays on. It is always glowing when the unit is on... Or is that just from the heat of the burn pot?

Rob

Could be the heat of the pot. But carefully check it to see if its getting power. If it is you will kill the igniter quickly.

NPS40 doesn't have the digital brain, But not sure if the POF would be the cause if it is staying on. If the POF doesn't close it should shutdown the unit. Might be the timer in the controller?

Clamp on amp meter is the safest. But a carefully placed and connected volt meter works fine too. But remember there is power present even if the stove is off back there. So unplug it first and connect the meter. Make sure the meter leads don't touch the stove chassis. Replug and test.

Safety first.

Status
Not open for further replies.