Is there a big differance between a wet /dry vac and a leaf blower for clean out ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I have read where the leaf blower works well ,
but wonder what the differance between a wet/ dry
vac and a electric leaf blower ? I could see if you were
using a gas powered blower .
I use a wet /dry vac along with compressed air and
tooth brush and coat hanger to do the monthly
and year end cleaning. It does get my house
dusty, but if a leaf blower would eliminate the use of
compressed air , I'd be happier.

I just converted to the leaf blower this year. Prior to that, I used a 18 gallon/ 6.5 HP Shop-Vac, that has a detachable leaf blower (cant be converted, I tried). The Shop-Vac worked well, but the is no comparison to the sheer amount of air the leaf-blower has (CFM). My Troy Bilt is 240 MPH and 450 CFM. The Investment in the leaf blower was also 50% less. Just over $100 for Shop-Vac, Little under $50 for Troy Bilt. The Best investment for my stove cleaning ritual, that I have made. Hands Down.
I'm not saying Shop-Vac's dont work. Shop-Vac's do work, but they wont get as much as the leaf blower will. Money well spent. Your stove will thank you.

All the tools you have mentioned have a useful place in proper stove cleaning. I think that both the shop vac and the leaf blower are needed. The shop vac, (any size) for vacuuming out the stove inside the home, weekly or more frequently, and the leaf blower for use outside following every ton burned. Another equally important cleaning tool is a schedule. Very important to use a schedule. That schedule will vary from stove to stove, but is important for the proper maintenance of all stoves. I have found that even a cheap little shop vac does the cleaning of a cold stove with no problem. I have been using the same vac every 3 days for the last 3 years. It was older when I stated using it on my stove. I keep the filter clean and have no notable dust issues. The leaf vac can be the cheapest one you can find that has an adaptable side you rig it up to fit on your exhaust. I bought a Toro from Lowes for $40 and a $3 adapter to downside it to fit my exhaust. I crimped the end so it easily fits the exhaust. It is held in place with duct tape.
My suggestions is that you type the words leaf blower in the search box in the upper left of this page and also go to you tube and type in cleaning pellet stove, leaf blower. You will get a lot of ideas to help you with your decision. I actually look forward to cleaning the with the leaf vac. Only takes about 10 min. Love to watch the smoke monster, and then how much better the stove burns following the cleaning.
If not for this forum, I would have been clueless about routine stove maintenance. Let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.