Is there a substitute for the fiberglass gasket rope??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
hello,

This might be a dumb question but ill ask it anyways just to get advice. my stove pipe right now is literally shoved through a big hole in the wall into the chimney. I made a peice of metal to seal off the hole and around the edge of the peice of metal is 1/2 wide gap that i made for the rope gasket to fit in. I have it all stuffed in tighly but im about 8" to short. What i was wonder is if i could use nylon rope instead of fiberglass. It is 2 feet from the chimenyand would never be got enough to burn your hand? I just dont want to buy another 10 feet but then use only a foot of it...

thanks

cody

I would not use nylon it burns like mad . You could use some fiberglass house insulation from your Attic, Just roll it in a round snake and stuff it in

don't use nylon, you will burn your house down

Status
Not open for further replies.