Is There Any Such Thing As Too Much Wood On Hand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I currently have 3 - 4 years of wood on hand...cut, split and stacked. But, I have room enough to store up to 6 years of wood. Is there any negative issues with letting wood sit around that long?

Here is the shed it is stored in... Will This Wood Dry In Time

So long as it's kept dry, wood will last a long, long, long time. I burned some firewood that was dragged out of the dry basement of a gentleman who passed away. His Grandson told me this wood had been down there at least 25 years that he remembered. It was dry as a bone, sound as could be, and burned like a dream. Water is the enemy. Your shed looks real good. Rick

If you have room, the answer is "no"
Never know when you'll have a "no wood cutting year" for various reasons.
Good to be ahead enough to absorb any lean years. :)

Great shed!

wood will rot if its left uncovered for a couple years, plus its not gonna dry very well. also I never seen carpenter ants and the like in dry wood. So keep the tops covered and maybe sprinkle some granule around the piles in the spring to keep the bugs away!

I agree, keep on going. I love your shed, the wood in there will certainly keep drying.

Dieselhead said:
wood will rot if its left uncovered for a couple years, plus its not gonna dry very well. also I never seen carpenter ants and the like in dry wood. So keep the tops covered and maybe sprinkle some granule around the piles in the spring to keep the bugs away!

Click on the OP's link and have a look at his wood shed. I think he's got most of your concerns covered (so to speak :p ).

hes got no worries!

How many cords can you fit in that shed and what was the material cost to build it?

Fill that sucker up! As long as you keep it covered you can get years ahead on your supply. I like that shed it is very nice by the way good job!

Pete

Nope.Its whatever you have room for.

That shed is excellent,one of the nicest I've seen.

Shed looks great - keep at it! Your wood supply will do fine in there for many years!

mywaynow said:
How many cords can you fit in that shed and what was the material cost to build it?

If the wood is stacked as high as possible, 1 section can hold 5 - 6 cords. So, if all 3 sections are completely full, I think I would have about 16 - 17 cords in total.

That shed was built 2 years ago...if I remember correctly, the material cost was around $2,000.

Two thousand well spent dollars. Now git her full!

Along the same lines as having "to much money" and equally important is how you use it and take care of it. If you hoard it and watch it rot then YES but, like money, if you take care of it and use it responsibly you will be a happy man.

Money is not the root of all evil - it is just that a lot of evil people hoard it. Money make you more of what you are. If you are a good person money just allows you to do good things, if you are an a$$ - with unlimited money you can be a really BIG A$$!!

If the activity of gathering and storing the wood is not so consuming that it effects you life as a whole keep on rolling. Never know when you will need it or could use some to pay it forward to someone in a real pinch and the karmic results could be good scounging for years.

Very nice shed . . . fill it up . . . no worries.

fdegree said:
I currently have 3 - 4 years of wood on hand...cut, split and stacked. But, I have room enough to store up to 6 years of wood. Is there any negative issues with letting wood sit around that long?

Here is the shed it is stored in... Will This Wood Dry In Time

Great job on your wood supply and the shed.

Zap

The answer is:
Yes, you have too much wood. Let me know where you are, and I will come and take it off your hands for you.
You're welcome. :coolgrin:

Thanks for the compliments on the shed and the advice on the amount of wood.

The wood that was stacked in the far right section is white oak that was cut - split - stacked in that section 2 years ago. I am burning from this section this winter, and I have gotten about half way through the stacks. So, this has allowed me to pull 3 splits from about the center of the original stack, today. I just came in from splitting these 3 splits and measured the moisture content on the freshly split side…all 3 measured exactly 15%.

Everyone’s situation is different…I am fortunate that my shed is open to the south, allowing for some sun exposure…plus, there is an open field behind the shed where I get a significant amount of wind throughout the entire year.

firebroad said:
The answer is:
Yes, you have too much wood. Let me know where you are, and I will come and take it off your hands for you.
You're welcome. :coolgrin:

Don't worry about coming to me, since I have too much, I'll just mail the excess to you. I'll even pay for the shipping since you're helping me out with this problem I have. :lol:

If you have too much wood with 3-4 years on hand, I am in big trouble and know a few others on this forum that are in the same boat. Re-read the post by Fossil.

Status
Not open for further replies.