Is There Such A Thing As A Flame Being Too High?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I just switched pellet brands from Lignetics to Greene Teams and noticed my flame is now huge. Is that a good thing or does the flame tend to get lazy when it is that high?

Drew1024 said:
I just switched pellet brands from Lignetics to Greene Teams and noticed my flame is now huge. Is that a good thing or does the flame tend to get lazy when it is that high?

With the Mt Vernon you can adjust the flame height on the thermostat.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I knew you could drop the flame height but was wondering if there was a downside to a huge flame?

Drew1024 said:
Thanks Eric. I knew you could drop the flame height but was wondering if there was a downside to a huge flame?

I have a Mt Vernon AE at the house. I like the flame on the back plate, looks cool. The Mt Vernon rocks.

Eric

I tend too run mine a little on the high side.

Haven't noticed any ill affects.

I would think (stove unspecific), that a very high flame is a waste of energy since most of the heat output gets just sucked out the vent rather than to give it time to interact with the heat exchanger ? I prefer a medium high flame in my box, if I go higher than that, the pellets in th ehopper are getting warm as well - indicating the hot air goes too far into the pipe system.

This thread wants, no, REQUIRES, no, DEMANDS, yeah that's it, pics.

Pics?
What kind ya want?

Attachments

1 KB · Views: 289
smoke show said:
Pics?
What kind ya want?

Kinda like riding a Harley. If I gotta explain, you wouldn't understand.

Heres mine with no flame height.

Attachments

• 2008_1011Image0005.jpg
    2008_1011Image0005.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.