Is this a current model or pre-epa stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barwick11

Oct 6, 2011
Southeast Michigan
...and can you recognize it? Someone somewhat local is selling it for a pretty good price. If it's a good stove, I'd like to pick it up.

Attachments

• Fireplace insert.jpeg
    Fireplace insert.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 417
barwick11 said:
...and can you recognize it? Someone somewhat local is selling it for a pretty good price. If it's a good stove, I'd like to pick it up.

It looks rather old. Are there any burn tubes at the top of the firebox?

Kind of looks like a Country Flame... I think. Someone here will be able to name it.

that's definately not a newer unit, like BAR said look up inside the firebox for a CAT or secondary burn tubes and baffles....if it don't have them, it's definately older....

I'm no expert, but that thing looks old to me. I can't think of a manufacturer that's built an appliance looking like that in recent history. I'd be very surprised to learn that this thing was EPA certified...I'd bet it pre-dates EPA certification. Also looks to me as though the appliance and the surround are not a match. It's an interesting old burner, though. Rick

barwick11 said:
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid having to drive all the way there. That's just pictures from the ad. Unfortunately no pics of the inside.

I'd save yer money and watch for a newer unit...I know we love our EPA stove, and are putting an NZ3000 EPA fireplace in our living room as we speak, they cost more but are worth it if you burn for heat.....

Would be good to know who made it, and I would venture a guess, as have others, that it's an older pre-epa unit. At any rate, identifying this insert will help to identify the stove in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80973/

since they clearly use the same door design / latch mechanism. The doors might be different sizes but they probably originated from the same company.

Aside from the fact that it might be old I like the looks of the insert, especially the very neat and well designed paneling around it.

steve

It really looks like a Country. If so those did have a reburn system. It was similar to the baffle/reburn system in a Pacific Energy.

I kinda like the shelf on top of it......you could probably cook on that thing!....lol...

fossil said:
I'm no expert, but that thing looks old to me. I can't think of a manufacturer that's built an appliance looking like that in recent history. I'd be very surprised to learn that this thing was EPA certified...I'd bet it pre-dates EPA certification. Also looks to me as though the appliance and the surround are not a match. It's an interesting old burner, though. Rick

Nevermind the certification, I'm thinking it predates the EPA :)

Remkel said:
fossil said:

That got me curious, and I think you could be right...the EPA was created on December 2, 1970. This appliance may well predate that. Rick

fossil said:
Remkel said:
fossil said:

That got me curious, and I think you could be right...the EPA was created on December 2, 1970. This appliance may well predate that. Rick

Should that be the case, it would also predate OSHA and MSHA.....wow- that is one old piece of steel!

Status
Not open for further replies.