Is this a deal or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
So I recently installed the stove, and recently spent 240$ on a cord of ready to burn oak, The wood burns great and I do not feel i got ripped off or anything, But I am already starting to plan for next winter.

So i have been scrounging craigslist daily looking for cheap/free wood for sale. Saw this listing today:

I have 12 cords of seasoned 10/2008 or before mostly oak fire wood for sale will deliver for free. $150

Called the gentlemen, he will deliver to my house for that price (approximately 25 miles) and he will do it twice, because he can only hold one cord at a time (full size truck + trailer loaded). Sounds like a trustworthy older gentlemen that does it as a hobby, but i find it hard to believe.

I will find out soon though.

Thoughts? I plan on stacking to make sure its a full cord after the first load.

What if you tell him you'll pay him per truck load. Get 1 and see how much is there and how good it is.

Jack Straw said:
What if you tell him you'll pay him per truck load. Get 1 and see how much is there and how good it is.

Thats the plan, I fear he will not want to do a second load, after he realizes how far he is driving for 150$

If the wood is good and the loads are full cords ill probably through him 20$ for gas and stilll feel as I made out.

People are selling green cords for 175$ around here.

ColdNH said:
Jack Straw said:

Thats the plan, I fear he will not want to do a second load, after he realizes how far he is driving for 150$

If the wood is good and the loads are full cords ill probably through him 20$ for gas and stilll feel as I made out.

If he's up front with you, good wood, & best price. Give him a few bucks for gas money.
If you get a good source for "good" wood, treat it nice.
You know how much work is involved to get it to a cord in burnable condition, in a stack, near your house.
Two way street.

ColdNH said:
Thoughts? I plan on stacking to make sure its a full cord after the first load.

Or you can measure the dimensions of the load to get a rough idea. If his bed is 5x8 and it is stacked 3 feet high = 120 cubic feet.

Of course that assumes he stacks the logs in neat rows.

Good luck

Well I guess it was to good to be true. Guy just called me back saying it was a misprint and his phone was ringing off the hook. Apparently it was supposed to be 150$ for half a cord. Bah. Told him I wasn't interested

Well, just be glad you found out about it now. No foul no harm.

ColdNH said:
Jack Straw said:

offer to help with gas $ then

Status
Not open for further replies.