Is this a good Craigslist deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjayhawk

Dec 6, 2008
North of St. Louis
I've never come across anything like this before ... and while my 5 cord of white oak enjoy one more year of seasoning, I'm wondering if this is a good deal?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/1437684088.html

The seller informed me that the wood is oak, ash, hickory, and hard maple. It was cut in the mill in the early spring. Since then, it has been stored in the barn.

Is this a go ... or no?

kjayhawk said:
I've never come across anything like this before ... and while my 5 cord of white oak enjoy one more year of seasoning, I'm wondering if this is a good deal?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/1437684088.html

The seller informed me that the wood is oak, ash, hickory, and hard maple. It was cut in the mill in the early spring. Since then, it has been stored in the barn.

Is this a go ... or no?

Not sure, but it might be a great deal. I say go for it. Worst case scenario you're out a hunj.

If the price is worth it to you then it's a go, if not then no...

If this were in my area I'd be all over it

rathmir said:
If the price is worth it to you then it's a go, if not then no...

If this were in my area I'd be all over it

The going price for seasoned hardwood delivered and stacked in the St. Louis area is between $180 and $225. Two of these bundles from the mill delivered to my place would run me about $140.

I defer to Lee as he's got more experience with eyeing these things up, but even if it were only half a cord in each bundle and you have time to let it season then its cheaper than CSS?

I took home a trailer load of mill trimmins in a trailer 3x6x12
and they stuck slabs down the sides to make it higher, over 4ft.
They loaded it and it was free.
it was a mix of hardwoods and pine. most of it smaller size cuts than
your pics.
Bottom line is, take Lee's advice and then add the "if it is worth it to you factor"

If they claim each bundle to be 3000 lbs so if dry, that's close to a cord. It's not clear in the ad if the two bundles combined are 3000 lbs.

slab wood has alot of bark so you will get alot of ash and dirt. it is also harder and more work to cut up. Also you are getting the outer wood not the interharder wood so it not as good BUT it is wood. As others have said depending on the price of wood locally it might be a good buy.
leaddog

They are not a cord per bundle, he states they are 4 X 4 X 8 he is measuring the furthest point and the bundles are not square. I would venture to say maybe 3/4 cord at best and 1/2 cord at worst. It will likely be dry because it is the outer wood, not heart wood. My neighbor has burned slab wood and it burns hot and fast. If I did not have wood I would get that over buying unseasoned firewood from a seasoned wood supplier.

The ad says "I'll cut it for a small fee." Maybe ask how much... might be worth it. It can be real pain to cut!

I burn slab wood . . . mostly when I'm looking to get the fire up and running or for burning in the Fall and Spring . . . however around here most of the mills only have softwood slabs so they're either selling for cheap or free. Like others I'm not sure it would add up to a true cord, but on the plus size those are hardwood . . . and generally this thinner wood seasons pretty fast. If it's worth it to you, go for it.

Buy it and burn it during daytime hours. Save the good wood for nights.

Many burn slab wood and like it. Naturally we have burned some and it burns fine. There is no splitting to be done usually so that saves work. They can be a pain to cut up but works great if you have a buzz saw.

Overall, the price is usually right for slab wood but do not expect the heat you will get from regular cord wood. But for daytime or short burns it is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.