Is this a good deal? Hearthstone Harvest $550 w/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
It is a Hearthstone Harvest. Does anyone have one of these? Is it a catalytic stove or a downdraft. It was purchased in 1992 so that makes it 19 years old. It's obviously got some warping in the firebox. Should I even bother looking at it?
http://providence.craigslist.org/for/2150139394.html

Attachments

• HearthstoneHarvest.jpg
    HearthstoneHarvest.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3,126
I was looking at one on craigslist, and I emailed the company. took a few days for an answer, but it was good and worth the wait. I think email the people on craigslist, get the model and search the internet for an exploded diagram. Then you can price parts before you go look. Better bargaining too! I personally think the price is too high for something that needs repair, but I live in KY. God bless, ann

Ann from KY said:
I was looking at one on craigslist, and I emailed the company. took a few days for an answer, but it was good and worth the wait. I think email the people on craigslist, get the model and search the internet for an exploded diagram. Then you can price parts before you go look. Better bargaining too! I personally think the price is too high for something that needs repair, but I live in KY. God bless, ann
I wouldn't pay what they are asking, just not good busyness to do that in a private sale. Unless, it was a product in perfect condition or with a great price. The seller has emailed me the specs from the original manual. It looks to be in good shape except the warped fireback. I can't seem to locate a parts provider yet, but I'm working on it. It should not be easy to find seeing as it is not in production anymore. The model is the Harvest by Hearthstone.

Did the seller offer any explanation of what is going on at the back of the stove???? Also, what is the condition of the soapstone. If there are cracks and separations, I would be worried about over firing beyond the back wall. Before you "Make a deal" get prices on the parts to correct the back and replace any damaged stone panels. Use that as a negotiating point.

If worse comes to worse, crate it up and ship it to me at your expense, or the sellers and I will see it gets a decent burial. :-S

It looks like parts are still available for this stove. Identify the parts for me and I'll get you pricing for them. Do what others suggested, give the whole stove a solid inspection. I've seen used Hearthstone non cats for sale in the 6-900 range, which would make a hell of a lot more sense than that Harvest. But feel free to get a parts quote from me. (I'll just quote and give you part numbers, try to find a local Hearthstone dealer to order them from is possible)

I picked up a harvest for free but have decided not to invest the money into repairing it because of the reviews I have read on the stove. Apparently, there is a reason that hearthstone only made a cat stove like this for a few years, and changed the design even during that time. Apparently they need a TON of draft to opperate as they should.

pen

pen said:
I picked up a harvest for free but have decided not to invest the money into repairing it because of the reviews I have read on the stove. Apparently, there is a reason that hearthstone only made a cat stove like this for a few years, and changed the design even during that time. Apparently they need a TON of draft to opperate as they should.

pen

Good to know, thanks Pen. I'm looking at something for the basement that has been left cold since I transplanted the Dutchwest up to the livingroom. I want to finish the downstairs into a playroom and bedroom for my older two boys. My wife is expecting our fifth boy, May 21st. The chimney down there has better than average draft. The soft heat would be perfect for the room. So it is a cat stove. I wasn't sure.

Franks said:
It looks like parts are still available for this stove. Identify the parts for me and I'll get you pricing for them. Do what others suggested, give the whole stove a solid inspection. I've seen used Hearthstone non cats for sale in the 6-900 range, which would make a hell of a lot more sense than that Harvest. But feel free to get a parts quote from me. (I'll just quote and give you part numbers, try to find a local Hearthstone dealer to order them from is possible)

Thanks Franks, I would certainly not pay even 500 for that considering it would need quite a bit of work, just judging by the pictures. More like 300.

littlesmokey said:
Did the seller offer any explanation of what is going on at the back of the stove???? Also, what is the condition of the soapstone. If there are cracks and separations, I would be worried about over firing beyond the back wall. Before you "Make a deal" get prices on the parts to correct the back and replace any damaged stone panels. Use that as a negotiating point.

If worse comes to worse, crate it up and ship it to me at your expense, or the sellers and I will see it gets a decent burial. :-S
No explanation, the add just said it's showing it's age. To me that looks like a lot more than age. I bought my used DW last year, completely rebuilt for $550. It was like new, with all newly cemented seams, new gaskets and paint. It looked like it just came out of the showroom floor.

southbalto said:
Cat Refractory Rear Heat Shield?

Looks like it needs some serious attention.
Good point, I emailed last night, asking if there were any other issues. I think I'll call him tonight and get down to busyness. Just wondering if anyone had personal experience burning this model. I don't know how good a stove it would be even in perfect condition.

southbalto said:

I don't think Hearthstone ever made a cat stove.

I would avoid it personally. I got the Equinox I have for $1500 off craigslist. It is a 2008 model, and was only used 1 season prior to me purchasing it off the owner. $500 for a 20 year old stove, that looks like it was overfired big time to have warped steel like that on the back. Looks like a basket case to me....

I got a Avalon Insert 1190 from CL (it can changed as a freestanding stove) for $1250 and it got a s/s flue and a cap. I had a chimney sweep install it for $475.00. It says is on the label it was made 4 years ago. I paid the dealer re-do the gaskets and check it out before I used it. That was the best $2000.00 I have ever paid.

Robert

Don't do it. It looks like it has been over fired for 20 years.

BrowningBAR said:
southbalto said:

hmm, funny how I have one sitting in my garage then.

Makes this schematic hard to come up with too

532452.jpg

Point is, they didn't make them for long as they had problems with this one.

pen

Thanks for the schematic Pen! I understood the point you were trying to make. Good point, too. The main reason why I come here and ask these questions. I wonder if anyone who has burned one of these or is currently using one will chyme in?

pen said:
BrowningBAR said:
southbalto said:

hmm, funny how I have one sitting in my garage then.

Makes this schematic hard to come up with too

532452.jpg

Point is, they didn't make them for long as they had problems with this one.

pen

Learned something new.

I talked to the seller tonight. He mentioned having really good results with it for 6-7 years. However he admitted to not cleaning the cat or ever taking it appart to clean the secondary burn chaimber. My guess is that this caused all the problems that occurred with this stove. Most of us know that to get good performance out of any stove you must keep the system clean. He really enjoyed this stove, so much so that he purchased its upgraded version: the Hearthstone Heritage! They are a lot alike. Comparing firebox capacity and heat output.

I think, we all agree, a lot of the problems people have with EPA stoves are due to misuse or incorrect installation.

I will have to study the parts schematic and try to figure out exactly what parts will need to be replaced according to what the seller described. I would go and look for myself but the stove is about 1 1/2 hours away. So I think I'll try to estimate the cost of the parts before making a trip to look at it. I really love the look and type of heat this stove posesses. I feel this could be a great stove, if properly restored and operated. I'll get back to the thread with the results!

I have a Hearthstone Harvest that I am using right now that I will sell you for $500.00. I'm in Rutland. So you can come look at it anytime. Internals are all there and in good shape. It's on the first floor living area. Not big on the side load. Too messy for me in the living room. I need to go back to a top load. Anyways it's here if you're interested.

Thanks,
Brian

70K10 said:
I have a Hearthstone Harvest that I am using right now that I will sell you for $500.00. I'm in Rutland. So you can come look at it anytime. Internals are all there and in good shape. It's on the first floor living area. Not big on the side load. Too messy for me in the living room. I need to go back to a top load. Anyways it's here if you're interested.

Thanks,
Brian

Nice!

I guess VCBurner was a very good boy/girl this year? :)

70K10 said:

Thanks,
Brian

First and foremost, welcome aboard Brian!
Chris here' AKA VCBurner. Never did I expect to have an answer like this one. And it's your first post, what a coincidence. Just as I was getting ready to post the list of warped parts from the other stove. It seems to be a mess though.

Yes.
I'd like to come and take a peek at your stove. I PM'ed you w/ my cell. I'll be in New Braintree most of the day so I'll be coming back through Rutland anyway, if we happen to connect with this PM. Otherwise, it's only down the street so whatever time works for you. I'm still baffled, no pun intended :p , that you responded with an offer from the next town over!

Thanks,
Chris
Nice!

I guess VCBurner was a very good boy/girl this year?
I guess so! You ain't sh#$%&@!!

Wood Heat Stoves said:
i'd pass
all the cat parts are discontinued, hard to repair

searching part numbers on our site to see if they come up, none of the important harvest cat parts are live

Thanks for the research WHS, seems like a nice stove, but you better not need any parts. It has been discontinued for 16 years, easy assuming that the parts, if any, will be harder to come by in the near future.

Franks said:

Thank you very much Franks for assisting me. I PM'ed you with a list of parts.
Much apreciated,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.