Is this a Harman Accentra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
I've only got this picture so far and am waiting on the owner to find out for certain but his sure looks a lot like a Harman Accentra to me. The only part that seems off in the photo is the top of the door where Accentras seem to have interesting metal work. Is that part separate from the door?

Harman Accentra.PNG

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Attachments

• Harman Accentra.PNG
    Harman Accentra.PNG
    289.1 KB · Views: 280
Yes.

Sure looks like one to me.

Thanks Dasky and Jackman,

I finally was able to dig up the appropriate parts diagram and see that there is a Cast Air Grill separate but associated with the door that looks to be missing. I don't see part number 3-00-247114-1 hanging out on the web but imagine that it must be available. Now if the things weren't so darned heavy.

Hugh

Just to update things, as it turns out it is an Accentra of around 2007 vintage. Now to see if we can wrestle it into the Fit. It's already carried a P-38+, P43 and 2 P61a-2s but they're all at least 100lb lighter. This guy always needs a project;)

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
Thanks Dasky and Jackman,

I finally was able to dig up the appropriate parts diagram and see that there is a Cast Air Grill separate but associated with the door that looks to be missing. I don't see part number 3-00-247114-1 hanging out on the web but imagine that it must be available. Now if the things weren't so darned heavy.

Hugh

Just to update things, as it turns out it is an Accentra of around 2007 vintage. Now to see if we can wrestle it into the Fit. It's already carried a P-38+, P43 and 2 P61a-2s but they're all at least 100lb lighter. This guy always needs a project;)

Hugh

This morning we proved that an Accentra FS will fit in a Honda Fit. Admittedly it was a close fit through the hatch due to the wheels on the hand cart requiring space to get over the hump between the bumper and the car interior. Three of us wrestled it in and just two wrestled it out. The air grill was there too but broken in two. I think a handy brazer ought to be able to put it back together in a few minutes. All and all it looks to be a worthy fixer upper that ought to provide another decade or two of comfortable heat.

Nice! Did you get a good deal on it?

Nice! Did you get a good deal on it?

Hi Rick,

I believe it was a good enough deal for me to make it worth putting a decent amount of time and replacement $$$ to get the stove back up to snuff and ready for a future user to enjoy it for a good long time. Probably many people would agree that aesthetically, the Accentra is a "prettier" stove than the P-series stoves.

Hugh

Reactions: tbear853
Hugh,
Yes the Accentra is a better looking stove. And it is a good stove. My parents have one that we installed about 15 yrs ago. With that said I like the functionality of the P series the best. P series I feel is more convenient to clean and maintain. The Accentras seems to always want to flame out the back of the burn pot behind the flame guide and that seems to build heavy creosote on sides of burn pot. They also seem to get quite a bit of creosote build up on the lower part of the front door. And having to pull the sprocket and auger motor to clean the fines box is a pain also. Then having to pack rags over dist. fan so when the fines box cover is removed and it is full the dust dont fall right down in the fan. Again, the Accentra is a good stove just not as conveint to run as a P-series. Just my 2 cents:)

Hugh,
Yes the Accentra is a better looking stove. And it is a good stove. My parents have one that we installed about 15 yrs ago. With that said I like the functionality of the P series the best. P series I feel is more convenient to clean and maintain. The Accentras seems to always want to flame out the back of the burn pot behind the flame guide and that seems to build heavy creosote on sides of burn pot. They also seem to get quite a bit of creosote build up on the lower part of the front door. And having to pull the sprocket and auger motor to clean the fines box is a pain also. Then having to pack rags over dist. fan so when the fines box cover is removed and it is full the dust dont fall right down in the fan. Again, the Accentra is a good stove just not as conveint to run as a P-series. Just my 2 cents:)

Rick,

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I think of the Accentra as more of of an ambiance stove that folks might burn on occasion rather than 24/7 through the whole winter therefore not needing as frequent cleanings as a workhorse that's one's primary heat source. Used that way one might only need to clean the fines once per year. It will be fun to get more "up to speed" through the refurbing process.

Reactions: rickwai
Looks a little like my Vermont Castings Reliance of 1992 vintage, but top door is backwards? Missing lower door, And ash pan that hangs inside the door. Also, is it missing three cast logs? Mine has no chain drive, uses a small motor that turns the auger with a gear box reduction. I never have had creosote on the door?

If so, it'll run you out of the house on high if all is working well. We use it for main heat, but glass only get's cleaned when we do a cool down deep clean every couple weeks or so.

They are heavy.

.. etc … The air grill was there too but broken in two. … etc …
Are you talking about the slanted front of the fire pot with the holes in it. Mine is cracked down the center, one side popped up a little. I'm gonna clamp it back & weld it back in place, use welding blankets to shield floor, etc … or maybe I'll take it part way apart and weld it downstairs in the shop. I know there's about 4 bolts that hold it in place, I've had the auger out before too, but there is a gasket in there behind the burn pot somewhere too. I just haven't done it yet so not too bad, but it does mean less air is being pulled evenly through all them holes.

Attachments

• Stove 2003 (3) 640.JPG
    Stove 2003 (3) 640.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: