Is This Black Walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Jul 12, 2009
NC
Scrounged it up today. Leftovers from tornado damage in NC.

Attachments

• 100_0542.jpg
    100_0542.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_0543.jpg
    100_0543.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 433
Yes.

Looks like it to me too.

Me too, and we don't grow it much here in Wa. I have never cut one down.

Maybe it is too late, but I agree. Black Walnut. Nothing else has such a dark heartwood, and the light sapwood and bark are just right for BLack Walnut as well.

I wasn't aware that Black Walnut grew that far south.

Black Walnut has s distinct smell when cutting/splitting too. I stacked a bunch on the piles earlier this year and couild smell the walnut pile from 50 feet away. I find it is a pleasant odor.

mywaynow said:
Black Walnut has s distinct smell when cutting/splitting too. I stacked a bunch on the piles earlier this year and couild smell the walnut pile from 50 feet away. I find it is a pleasant odor.

I think so too.Some describe it as 'tea leaves' when sawing,shaping or splitting it.Some even smells like lemon almost I've noticed.

Thats a great link Wood Duck, thanks for posting. It does have me a bit confused, though, as I have cut Black Walnut regularly in the Boston area. In fact, I'm in the middle of splitting about 2 cord right now. If it turns out that what I'm splitting isn't Black Walnut, I have no clue what else it could be.

That is indeed black walnut. We grow it here in Mississippi as well. It splits and works real easy, but I have not burned any of it yet. I can report on that next burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.