Is This Reasonable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindakas

Nov 17, 2010
NH
Greetings! I had a chimney service come out and inspect my chimney for possible repairs. My chimney has three flues - one for the oil furnace, one for the main fireplace that contains a wood stove, and a smaller fireplace on the second floor. He found that there were cracks on the top (it's not covered) and two of the flues were in bad shape. The estimate I received was for a total of $4,800 (I'll list the bigger items):

5.5" x 35' Smoothwall Liner - $619
5.5" 2-part flex tee 316 - $134 for two of them
MFLEX 6" x 25' Basic Kit 006 - $404
25" x 57", 12" height stainless steel hinged (cover?) - $404

Labor is $2,400 to install the two liners, apply CrownCoat and FlashSeal to the chimney crown and flashing, apply water repellent to exterior above roofline, and remove and dispose of job site debris. I have to double check to ensure the cover installation is also included in the labor because it's not explicitly stated in the list.

I am attempting to secure other estimates for comparison, but was wondering if this is reasonable. I live in NH.

Thanks!

Glade

Welcome to the forums!
If the flues were in "bad shape", I would think an insulated liner would be in order for the stove. Was there any talk of that?
Seems like a lot for labor - is there any actual re-constructive masonry work planned, or just patching/sealing cracks and dropping in the liners?

branchburner said:
Welcome to the forums!
If the flues were in "bad shape", I would think an insulated liner would be in order for the stove. Was there any talk of that?
Seems like a lot for labor - is there any actual re-constructive masonry work planned, or just patching/sealing cracks and dropping in the liners?

Thanks for your response!

I have some more details:

1. Chimney flue exhausting the woodstove is deteriorated - recommend insluated liner connecting from stove through top of chimney
2. Chimney flue exhausting the heating system is deteriorated - recommend chimney liner with tees for heating system connection and cleanout

No real reconstructive masonry work, just Crown Coat for the top, FlashSeal for the flashing, and ChimneySaver wherever the moss is which allows the moisture to permeate into the mortar. But, a note next to the photo of the heating system flue says there's missing mortar between the liner sections so I'm assuming that would be corrected if needed(?).

... and a full size chimney cap.

It does seem like a lot for labor - he said it would take two days and there will be a team of two which works out to $75/hour if 8 man hours a day. Maybe it's not a lot after all?

Argh, I'm feeling a little pressured because they're booking out to mid December. I'd prefer another estimate, but I'm waiting for a couple of places just to call me back. I really appreciate the input.

Glade

That seems to be right. If you are going to be pay some one to do it, make sure they are certified by CSIA or NFI. The Saver systems products that he quoted to use are good products, but they are expensive so that accounts for the price as well. I also assume the insulation cost is figured into the labor amount. While I am not gonna break down what I would quote a job like yours, I will say it is a resonable quote, at least around here. You are right about getting in a chimney companies schedule at this time, but getting multiple quotes is always a good thing.

98dingo said:
That seems to be right. If you are going to be pay some one to do it, make sure they are certified by CSIA or NFI. The Saver systems products that he quoted to use are good products, but they are expensive so that accounts for the price as well. I also assume the insulation cost is figured into the labor amount. While I am not gonna break down what I would quote a job like yours, I will say it is a resonable quote, at least around here. You are right about getting in a chimney companies schedule at this time, but getting multiple quotes is always a good thing.

Thanks Keith, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the quote. I did go check the CSIA website and the person is certified. Someone else I talked to last night would not even be able to come out until December 1 and I don't want to wait that long. I've already lost too much sleep over this :).

Have a great day!

Glade

Status
Not open for further replies.