Is this worth complaining about ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

So what should I do ?

• chuck them in the pellet pile and don't give it another thought

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cncpro

Hearth Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
NE Connecticut, USA
Hey everybody,

I haven't decided if this is worth complaining about so I thought I'd collect some opinions while I make up my mind...

This is only my second year on pellets. I decided to try pelletsales.com this year because they seem to get great reviews here and because the people I used last year are way out of line on pricing.

I got my 6 tons of LG Granules today. The truck driver was very helpful and managed to slide all 6 tons into the safety of my garage even though the forklift was too tall to get inside...

It was rainy today (and every day for the past month, right ?) so the outer packaging was quite wet but I figured it was no problem... Then the more I looked at it the more concerned I got so I unwrapped all of the skids completely just to get all that moisture away and I could see that many of the bags got just a little wet on the corner. There is a glob of pellet mush about the size of 1 or 2 measuring cups in about 8 bags of the 150 bags I have handled so far. I am keeping them separate for now until I decide what to do.

My stove is a Quad CB1200 and it doesn't seem to be negatively affected by fines. I assume these pellet clots will dry out over the summer and simply be presented to the stove as slightly heavy fines...

I am interested in all opinions but especially from those who have burned slightly funky pellets like this before...

P.S. Overall I would rate my experience with pelletsales.com very highly. Every person I dealt with was excellent and I like their website. I couldn't really even say if it was their fault or LG's fault that the pellets got wet... Honestly, if these weren't packed in clear bags I might not have even have noticed the moisture...

P.P.S. These are the best smelling pellets I have ever checked out. They smell like Lowes lumber aisle or maybe like when you open the cardboard box containing your new snap-together furniture from Wal-Mart... The other pellets I had smelled like chemicals, glue, burnt molasses, anything but wood... Burned fine but not such a great smell. This is my first softwood pellet. I am pretty excited about it and I think I made a good choice for this year.

Just my opinion, but I think what you are seeing is the wet remains of just a few pellets that were loose between bags. You can't believe how much they will swell up. If just one bag near the top of the pallet had a smell tear it could have spilled enough pellets to result in what you saw.... Just a thought...

The stuff I am talking about is completely in the bags and pushing it's way out of the bag in some cases where the holes are large enough. It's definitely not from loose pellets between bags.

OK. Ithought you meant it was outside, between bags. This sure sounds like some bags got wet. I'd call them. Don't wait...

pellet clumps happen. we see them all the time with pellets in the yard... you could call and complain, but it is a rick you run when you buy in bulk like that. when our customers get the clumpy bags, they typically bring them back, and we give them a fresh bag. its waste, and its a thingthat happens and individual dealers in you area eat. i dont know if they will give you 8 bags back, but maybe.. you will always get a few bad bags in every large load... we get them 24 ton at a time and see it alot. pellets get handled/change hands alot before you get them.

I had good results with them, so my opinion is to give them a call and calmly explain what you found....see what they say. Can't hurt.

Here's what happened with the six tons I bought from them. The pallets are loaded, robotically I believe, slightly off center, so 1 bag is partially hanging off the pallet. The weight forces that bag to split, which is then exposed to any moisture on the ground. I restacked all my bags in the basement the following day, then contacted pelletsales.com about replacements, same as I would any store that sold something with concealed damage. Their policy is to issue a check for the damaged goods, which is fine by me.

cncpro said:
Hey everybody,

I haven't decided if this is worth complaining about so I thought I'd collect some opinions while I make up my mind...

This is only my second year on pellets. I decided to try pelletsales.com this year because they seem to get great reviews here and because the people I used last year are way out of line on pricing.

I got my 6 tons of LG Granules today. The truck driver was very helpful and managed to slide all 6 tons into the safety of my garage even though the forklift was too tall to get inside...

It was rainy today (and every day for the past month, right ?) so the outer packaging was quite wet but I figured it was no problem... Then the more I looked at it the more concerned I got so I unwrapped all of the skids completely just to get all that moisture away and I could see that many of the bags got just a little wet on the corner. There is a glob of pellet mush about the size of 1 or 2 measuring cups in about 8 bags of the 150 bags I have handled so far. I am keeping them separate for now until I decide what to do.

My stove is a Quad CB1200 and it doesn't seem to be negatively affected by fines. I assume these pellet clots will dry out over the summer and simply be presented to the stove as slightly heavy fines...

I am interested in all opinions but especially from those who have burned slightly funky pellets like this before...

P.S. Overall I would rate my experience with pelletsales.com very highly. Every person I dealt with was excellent and I like their website. I couldn't really even say if it was their fault or LG's fault that the pellets got wet... Honestly, if these weren't packed in clear bags I might not have even have noticed the moisture...

P.P.S. These are the best smelling pellets I have ever checked out. They smell like Lowes lumber aisle or maybe like when you open the cardboard box containing your new snap-together furniture from Wal-Mart... The other pellets I had smelled like chemicals, glue, burnt molasses, anything but wood... Burned fine but not such a great smell. This is my first softwood pellet. I am pretty excited about it and I think I made a good choice for this year.
Cncpro I had the same problem this year with my order of Lgs, I just called pelletsales told them the problem and how many bags were wet and they gave me a credit for the wet bags,the kicker was I was able to keep the wet ones, I just put them aside and will sift the whole bag before I burn them.IMO pelletsales was very eager to make sure I was happy.Hope this helps.

mnkywrnch said:
.......Cncpro I had the same problem this year with my order of Lgs, I just called pelletsales told them the problem and how many bags were wet and they gave me a credit for the wet bags,the kicker was I was able to keep the wet ones, I just put them aside and will sift the whole bag before I burn them.IMO pelletsales was very eager to make sure I was happy.Hope this helps.

This is one of the reasons I bought from them...they seem very willing to keep customers happy, and make things right "sight unseen". As long as their prices remain competitive next year, they'll get my business again.

Complain? Nah. Let them know about it: Definitely.
They are a first rate operation, stand behind their
product and services all the way, and want you to
tell them if something is wrong. If folks don't speak
up then they have no way of knowing about problems.

The people who voted like this: chuck them in the pellet pile and don’t give it another thought
have obviously never dealt with the Pelletsales crew.

I just wanted to update this thread.

This matter is now resolved. Pelletsales sent a check to cover all damaged bags. They were a little slow to get the check out but they did call to apologize for the delay in sending it.

Pelletsales.com is a reputable business and I would consider buying from them again.

The same thing happened to me. I got my pellets a week ago Tuesday and it was a rainy day. It took me a full 7 days to get them in place where I wanted them and ended up with 6 bags that had some water damage. I emailed their office and a lady called me within a few hours and apologized for the damage and said thank you for the email which had a picture that they will forward to the LG manufacturer in Canada and that a check would be in the mail for the 6 damaged bags.

I told her that not the entire bags were damaged and gave them the option of how many bags they would compensate me for and she said no problem at all, the check will be in the mail tomorrow.

Very good people to deal with and I think that I'll be very please with the softwood LG's just as much as I was pleased with my hardwood Barefoots last year.

Happy Heating!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.