Issue going on with my 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw520

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2012
Modena
This morning my lower auger motor stopped turning,.. so I purchased two (2) new auger motors from a local parts distributor,.. I figure Id do both motors at the same time. The install went smooth,.. fired the stove back up,.. everything going smooth except I noticed the flame height much higher,.. I turned heat and fan settings down to 1-1,... still running unusually hot,... back the trim setting down to 1-1-1,.. STILL running crazy hot,,.. so I timed the lower auger with a stopwatch (because I can see that one),.. I know they're supposed to run at 1 rpm. The bottom auger is running just over 2 rpm with all settings as low as possible. So with the room creeping up on 80 degrees, I have shut the stove down until I can figure out whats going on here... it appears this guy sold me 2.4 rpm motors.!!

When my auger motor stopped turning - despite removing/reinserting - I took the thing apart - reseated the gears - and it was once again working. Maybe yours is truly dead but might be worth disassembling and taking a look if you haven't already.

The top motor determines the amount of fuel delivered. With a 2 rpm motor for the top auger twice as much fuel is being delivered.
I think that if the two speeds don't match, that is if the bottom auger is faster than the top, you will get a high-low burn pattern. When fuel is delivered to the lower auger it is pushed out too quickly causing a high flame, and then it runs out of fuel causing a low flame. Since it takes time to burn the fuel i am not sure how distinct the pattern will be.
I have seen gear motors offered on line as compatible with the 25, but their speeds were not 1 rpm. Caveat Emptor!

Reactions: Shaw520
The top motor determines the amount of fuel delivered. With a 2 rpm motor for the top auger twice as much fuel is being delivered.
I think that if the two speeds don't match, that is if the bottom auger is faster than the top, you will get a high-low burn pattern. When fuel is delivered to the lower auger it is pushed out too quickly causing a high flame, and then it runs out of fuel causing a low flame. Since it takes time to burn the fuel i am not sure how distinct the pattern will be.
I have seen gear motors offered on line as compatible with the 25, but their speeds were not 1 rpm. Caveat Emptor!

Good point Harvey,... I spoke with the fella who sold me the motors,... he was very nice and agreed to swap them out for the 1 rpm.

The stock 1 rpm motors I took out are:
Merkle - Korff Ind
Model - 4515U1 -063

The 2.4 rpm motors he sold me were:
ECM
BM:6544

Good point Harvey,... I spoke with the fella who sold me the motors,... he was very nice and agreed to swap them out for the 1 rpm.
The motors I put in:
ECM
BM:6544

So, everything back to normal, burn wise?

So, everything back to normal, burn wise?
Well,.. not sure yet,....this guy doesnt get back till tomorrow to exchange these 2 rpmers for the 1 rpmers,.... and I refuse to pay the oil man,... SO, I put the original upper '1 rpm' motor back in place, and left the new 2 rpm in (lower) and it runs awesome!!,..its a Hi-Bred!

This Hi-Bred set-up is working sooo awesome Ive decided to leave it this way,..the stove even seems more responsive. So with the new 2.4 rpm motor on the bottom auger,.. and the new 1 rpm motor on the top auger, shes a mean clean running machine! (and I have the 'still good' old 1 rpm on stand-by as a spare).

Status
Not open for further replies.