Issue with Vermont Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KJKraemer

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
SE Connecticut
I'm having some problems with my Vermont softwood pellets. First off let me say that they are GREAT pellets and I love how they burn. However....I have attached a couple of pics (there are many others) that show the problem I am having. It seems to occur in different pallet loads (1 ton per pallet) and the bags all appear to still be sealed up. Once you open the bag you do get a suprise though. It appears that maybe the pellets got wet somewhere along the way and then dried. The pellets were covered with a full sheet of plastic and are stored at my house in the garage so they did not get wet here. I've had at least 25 bags and counting of pellets that look like this. In some, almost the whole bag is like this!

I've email the company a couple of times and provided the pics but no response yet. It would seem to be quality control issue at the plant.

I've burned pellets for many years and have never even seen ONE bag like this. Has anyone else ever seen this before?

Attachments

• Issue with Vermont Softwood Pellets
    2012-01-30_22-12-16_981.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Issue with Vermont Softwood Pellets
    2011-11-14_07-17-35_865 (2).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 292
That's not VWP fault. They got wet at your dealers and he is the one responsible to correst the issue. Call and give them a chance to make good on you issue. The good ones stand behind their sale and will swap you out for some good stuff. And them VWP are the good stuff when not ruined by water damage!

Keep us posted.

yup...they got wet....probably at the dealers' place, but if you let them sit out at your place for any amount of time, maybe at your place.........

The way VWP is moving them, I doubt they got a chance to get wet their. Most likely the dealer double stacked them and this was at the bottom. Outer wrap got damaged and water sneaked in.

OP, did the outer wrap have a hole in the top?

I see puff bags at the local big boxes all of the time.

If they get wet you'll have what you have.

Those plastic bags they come in are full of tiny holes to aid in stacking among other things.

Yuck. I bought 2 bags of Vermonts to try. DH used one on a weekend when I was away and said they jammed the XXV several times - he kept finding it shut down and had to clear it out before it would restart. So my other bag is hanging in the crawlspace...if anyone loves these and wants to trade...? LOL.

KJKraemer said:
I'm having some problems with my Vermont softwood pellets. First off let me say that they are GREAT pellets and I love how they burn. However....I have attached a couple of pics (there are many others) that show the problem I am having. It seems to occur in different pallet loads (1 ton per pallet) and the bags all appear to still be sealed up. Once you open the bag you do get a suprise though. It appears that maybe the pellets got wet somewhere along the way and then dried. The pellets were covered with a full sheet of plastic and are stored at my house in the garage so they did not get wet here. I've had at least 25 bags and counting of pellets that look like this. In some, almost the whole bag is like this!

I've email the company a couple of times and provided the pics but no response yet. It would seem to be quality control issue at the plant.

I've burned pellets for many years and have never even seen ONE bag like this. Has anyone else ever seen this before?

Yikes!.....looks like they got bleached :bug: Normally a very good pellet

Status
Not open for further replies.