issues with starting fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave hoov

Oct 14, 2012
aberdeen,md
I have an englander insert pellet stove, about 9 years old. just recently as I start a fire, it wants to shut off before the blower comes on, if i hit the arrow buttons on the side control panel, it starts back up. sometimes it will do this several times before the blower comes on, sometimes, not once. once the blower comes on every thing is fine. was wondering if any one had any ideas what may be wrong? thanks and have a great day.

Your stove is not reaching a high enough temp on first startup attempt to tell the control board to turn on the conv. fan.
Last time stove was completely torn down & cleaned? Have you made sure the temp. sensor wire is plugged firmly onto the control board? Is the sensor end of it firmly attached to the exhaust? Have you switched to a different brand of pellets recently? Have you made any changes to the lower 3 button settings? (if not, what are they set at?)

Your stove is not reaching a high enough temp on first startup attempt to tell the control board to turn on the conv. fan.
Last time stove was completely torn down & cleaned? Have you made sure the temp. sensor wire is plugged firmly onto the control board? Is the sensor end of it firmly attached to the exhaust? Have you switched to a different brand of pellets recently? Have you made any changes to the lower 3 button settings? (if not, what are they set at?)
i cleaned it about a month ago. i have not checked the temp sensor wire. either end of it. been using presto logs pellets this season. the buttons have been on 7 for a number of years, no changes there. i will check the sensor wire, thanks for the suggestion.

I'd check that thermal sensor wire, and double check those bottom button settings.....not sure what you mean by "the buttons have been on 7".....I hope you don't mean the 3 bottom buttons are all set to 7.....that is WAY off. Should be something like 6-4-1.

Has the insert ever been removed and the exhaust completely cleaned from top to bottom?

I'd check that thermal sensor wire, and double check those bottom button settings.....not sure what you mean by "the buttons have been on 7".....I hope you don't mean the 3 bottom buttons are all set to 7.....that is WAY off. Should be something like 6-4-1.

Has the insert ever been removed and the exhaust completely cleaned from top to bottom?
yeah, they were all on 7, someone i know suggested that. i clean the exhaust every season at least once by blowing out with an air compressor, i've not taken it all apart, sounds like maybe is should. thanks for the time and suggestions.

Recommend you do a search here for the Leaf Blower Trick. That'll help you get the stove's guts really cleaned out!
There are videos on YouTube that show how, also. Quite impressive to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.