It finally died....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
I was on a work road trip this week.
Wife called and said the stove was off when she got home. When she turned the stove off and back on....it sparked and smoked.

We have a Whitfield Prodigy.

I took it apart and the control board looked like it caught on fire....everything was charred and burned.

So....currently looking at a few stoves on Craigslist.

#1 on my list is the Harman Advance....but it's at the top of my price as well. ($1850.00)

#2 is the St. Croix Hastings ($1200.00)

I emailed a few other people about other stoves as well....

But based on the two stoves I'm liking the Harman because of the sensor factor.

Any advice?

I would imagine the od can be fixed... if nothing else put it on Craig's list and get a few $$$ out of it.

My St Croix has been bulletproof except for one ignitor after 4 years of My ownership... the stove is a 2001.

Is the board burnt or components?

If the pcb wasn't badly damaged, repairing it shouldn't be too bad.

Post some pictures

The prices they charge for these control boards is robbery

Aaron

Attachments

• EngPSforSale.jpg
    EngPSforSale.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 384
Thanks for the replies...

Yeah the entire back of the circuit board is fried. I couldnt believe it....the fuse didnt blow on the stove though.

Got a few emails out looking at stoves so we'll see what happens.

Aaron:
If you decide to rebuild the stove I've seen controllers and wiring harnesses for some Whitfields on Ebay. Wiring harness for my Optima 30 insert was ~110$ and the controller over $300. But your right, for the very basic electronics inside this controller and the simple wiring harnesses, those prices are crazy. So I rewired my stove myself including a wiring modification. Check out this post:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69154/

That said, before you rewire, you should try to find out what caused the short / sparks in the first place. It could be something simply like a pinched wire or internally shorted motor (blower, fan, feeder) or shorted ignitor. Although those items, if dead-shorted internally, should have blown the fuse. A partial short may not.

As per my post above, I think Whitfield messed up with the distribution of the neutral leg of the power source in my Optima 30. Too much current over a single (0.1") pin in main circuit connector. I added a neutral current shunt to the harness to correct that design error.

Good luck! RonB

We have a Prodigy II and I rewired the entire stove and it now runs with two totally new control timers that I got from "Precision timer co."

As long as the exhaust fan and the Blower/inducer are good you can fix the stove and actually make it better than new.

But, thats a decision you have to make as to whether you want to tackle that sort of job.

Boards are available for these stoves.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.