It may be money in the bank but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
...the withdrawal isn't an easy run through a drive thru ATM. I delivered 2 of a 5 cord order yesterday. Dry wood may be significantly lighter than green but it is still a lot of work to stack a trailer by hand, deliver it and help stack it on the other end when it is in the mid-eighties.

Thanks S&W, you've just reinforced my belief that I shouldn't try to sell firewood, unless of course it was pickup only. Nah, still don't wanna'.
Maybe campfire wood. Hmm?

I bucked and loaded 1.5 cord the weekend of July 4th and decided it's no job for the summer!

Money is good....but we all have our limits. ha.

What would the "wholesale" cost per cord be, assuming you had to pay yourself an average hourly wage? (even though you are of course much better than an average worker). No spreadsheet required for this - the back of your breakfast napkin will do fine :).

SolarAndWood said:
...the withdrawal isn't an easy run through a drive thru ATM. I delivered 2 of a 5 cord order yesterday. Dry wood may be significantly lighter than green but it is still a lot of work to stack a trailer by hand, deliver it and help stack it on the other end when it is in the mid-eighties.

Good job Solar, looks like August will be the stacking month for me.

zap

willworkforwood said:
What would the "wholesale" cost per cord be, assuming you had to pay yourself an average hourly wage? (even though you are of course much better than an average worker). No spreadsheet required for this - the back of your breakfast napkin will do fine :).

~ $25/hr after direct out-of-pocket expenses. But, the wood I get is free and bucked and it was a friendly sale. I picked it up, ran it through the splitter, dried it and delivered it. Probably not a great scalable business model but this deal alone will offset probably 10 years of firewood expenses.

Dave, it seems like the delivery is a big chunk of the value. It means I deliver a cord at a time as opposed to the hassle of meeting someone to pick up a 1/3 cd at a time and not turning away people without a truck. Around here, most people don't have a way to move firewood.

SolarAndWood said:

Amen!

When the heat of the summer gets to us, even kindling can get heavy. Keep at it though Solar. We'll be thinking of you.

When I'm in my mid 80s... I'd be happy if I'm not wearing a diaper and having to be spoon fed, never mind loaded up firewood to sell! Damn dude, what's your secret?

the only way I wood sale any wood, would be to buy a new toy, related to wood. but for me I may buy stilh but not selling 8 cords to get one. so for now, happy to have good wood. and 1 year ahead. Always a work in progress

I would have to sell my wood at $1000 a cord for it to be worth it to me....I have WAY to much 'sweat equity' invested in my obsession .....I mean hobby - to see it go anywhere but in my stove.

wood-fan-atic said:
I have WAY to much 'sweat equity' invested in my obsession

Started out innocent enough, I thought they just wanted a face cord for the holidays. I have plenty so not a big deal either way and I have a shopping list that has been building.

NATE379 said:
When I'm in my mid 80s... I'd be happy if I'm not wearing a diaper and having to be spoon fed, never mind loaded up firewood to sell! Damn dude, what's your secret?

HehHeh . . . I read it quick and thought he was saying he was in his mid-80s too . . . I think on a closer read he was saying the temp was in the mid-80s . . . and on the same vein . . . I doubt I'll be around to see my early 80s.

Like others I would find it hard to part with my firewood . . . heck, even when it comes to camping I tend to be selective as to what wood goes and what stays . . . generally the punks, chunks and uglies go first . . . but even then I sometimes find it hard to part with some of the better looking wood.

firefighterjake said:
Like others I would find it hard to part with my firewood . . .

I turned away a number of inquiries last year but now that I am 3+ years ahead I can entertain them. It also makes it easier to rationalize when I have a bunch of firewood equipment related purchases that I have been putting off until I have the dough. I heard ya though...it doesn't feel right when you are loading up 5 cord of dry wood that is within 75 ft of your stove and delivering it to someone else.

SolarAndWood said:
firefighterjake said:
Like others I would find it hard to part with my firewood . . .

I turned away a number of inquiries last year but now that I am 3+ years ahead I can entertain them. It also makes it easier to rationalize when I have a bunch of firewood equipment related purchases that I have been putting off until I have the dough. I heard ya though...it doesn't feel right when you are loading up 5 cord of dry wood that is within 75 ft of your stove and delivering it to someone else.

Ah, being ahead . . . and wanting to help finance some "toys" -- this I could understand . . . but I would still have a hard time selling my wood . . . guess you could call me a firewood hoarder. :)

SolarAndWood said:
willworkforwood said:

~ $25/hr after direct out-of-pocket expenses. But, the wood I get is free and bucked and it was a friendly sale. I picked it up, ran it through the splitter, dried it and delivered it. Probably not a great scalable business model but this deal alone will offset probably 10 years of firewood expenses.

Dave, it seems like the delivery is a big chunk of the value. It means I deliver a cord at a time as opposed to the hassle of meeting someone to pick up a 1/3 cd at a time and not turning away people without a truck. Around here, most people don't have a way to move firewood.

If your saws are turning at 25.00 an hour thats an easy choice...... ;-) Hassle free too!

smokinjay said:
If your saws are turning at 25.00 an hour thats an easy choice...... ;-) Hassle free too!

Kinda what I am thinking. I am also thinking that if I get it stacked and covered somewhere I can get the trailer mid burning season, I can do a lot better than my good guy no way someone I work with is going to complain about it price.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Kinda what I am thinking. I am also thinking that if I get it stacked and covered somewhere I can get the trailer mid burning season, I can do a lot better than my good guy no way someone I work with is going to complain about it price.

I would keep'em spinning! :cheese:

firefighterjake said:
Like others I would find it hard to part with my firewood . . . heck, even when it comes to camping I tend to be selective as to what wood goes and what stays . . . generally the punks, chunks and uglies go first . . . but even then I sometimes find it hard to part with some of the better looking wood.

HARD TO PART WITH MY WOOD - HECK YES!!

Our last house we sold the buyers tried to negotiate a cord of my split & dried firewood.
Considering I barely had enough to get me by for the upcoming winter, I laughed so hard
I almost cried & sent the rejected offer back to the Realtor.

The buyers came back to their senses & didn't ask for it on the next offer.

Solar, you need to stop over the house and see how its done. I only handle the wood once and can deliver 2 full cords at a time. It doesn't pay to stack it for the customer, let them get a local teen looking to make some money to stack it for them. I can't keep up this year, going to have to fire up the kiln here shortly to fill all the orders I have for this fall.

I am definitely set up more for personal consumption and maybe a few here and there on the side than prime time. My trailer only holds a cord, and that is stacked, I have to haul it up a grade to get to asphalt, wood is random length as it is cut by residential tree guys who just want to get rid of it, etc.

I'll get out to check out your operation one of these days.

Attachments

• 080211 load 3.jpg
    080211 load 3.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 109
Status
Not open for further replies.