It Never, Never, Never.........Hurts to ASK!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
On my way home I have been passing by a local tree service company. Lots of trucks and equipment but also ALOT of wood just laying around. I took down the number and decided to call. Got a hold of the main dispatcher and found out it was bigger than I thought. There main place is some 60 miles away! I asked her about the wood just laying around to see if it was for sale. Well.....much to my surprise after she found out I was just a regular guy with a wood stove.... she said as long as I called her ahead of time.... I could go and take as much as I wanted free of charge! I was shocked....Well I have already made 2 trips and grabed about 2 face cords of mostly cherry with some ash. TONS THERE!!! Another trip is schedule for this weekend. Its only about 8 minutes from my house and I figure with about a dozen more trips... I should be almost 2 full years ahead! Still have about 10 face cords c/s/s from this year......My goal by Memorial Day is 25 face cords! Happy Cutting, Splitting and Stacking ! Never hurts to ask!

Better yet, just start doing side jobs for them. That's what I did, I fix up there truck on the weekend and on sunday I fill up my pick up with oak and ash that's all split and ready to go. We still disagree on what "seasoned" is, Hahahahaha. I just store it for a year ahead so I don't have to worry about it.
Mark

A few packs of pop for them never hurts neither.

No it doesn't hurt to ask. Once you build some connections, the wood may start REALLY coming in!

I'm in sales and there is an old saying, "You don't ask, you don't get". I have three letters to homeowners out right now inquiring about wood on their property.....one is a massive group of white ash trees that went down during the October storm. They've been laying there since, and I offered to cut and remove them at no charge. I'd have enough wood to last a lifetime if they give the go-ahead.

Last year I drove past one of the homes in my neighborhood that had a bunch of trees marked that need to be removed for fire mitigation. A year later the trees are still standing. I knocked on the door to ask them if I could cut them down and haul them off for them. At first they were reluctant because they thought I wanted money to do the work. When I told that that I would do it for free because I wanted the wood

Excellent sore, NS! :) Sounds like you'll be able to get real picky about what kinds of wood you take, and they should have a wide variety available.

I'm still trying to get some Hedge to try out. I just saw a farm about two miles from the house that has one tree down and a lot of others ringing the property. I'll "ask" that guy very soon...couldn't hurt. :cheese:

Yup, old farm house down the road had a couple trees come down during the hurricane back in August. They are still laying there so I offered to cut them up and haul them off, the woman was more than happy to have them gone. I went down into the field to check out the trees and found that what looked like one or two trees from the road, was actually a cluster of about 9 smallish to medium sized sugar maples that were all uprooted in one clump. Score! Now I just have to wait for a good time to go cut them up.

Thanks Woody!...First 2 trips I got Cherry, Ash and Red Oak. Cutting up all the longer rounds now. Won't need it til the 2013/2014 season! Plenty of time for Mother Nature, The Wild Wind and Old Man Winter to do there jobs perspectively. The larger rounds I hope to have all split by Memorial Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.