it`s.... black & orange......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squib

Oct 17, 2008
east oh
just got it. what do you think. ??

first time posting a pix, not sure if i did it right. tell me if i didn`t

herman

Attachments

• DSCF3004.jpg
    DSCF3004.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 541
  • DSCF3003.jpg
    DSCF3003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 570
  • DSCF3005.jpg
    DSCF3005.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 531
You did do it right. The pics are showing up as thumbnails, when you click on them they expand so the pic can be viewed better.

Splitter looks good, good luck with it.

herman,
That's real pretty--ever since my dad took home a 30-year-old Ariens snowthrower, and used it for 10 more with only two sheared pins, gas and oil, I've been a big fan of their gear. Would you mind tellin' how much sumpin' like that costs?

Good luck with it!

S

pics look good to me herman, small pics are OK, it's the real big pics that force you to side scroll ...they are known to discourage discussion.

So lets hear about your splitter.

thx guys..

thinkx, don`t mind at all. here is my understanding......................

retail price...........2249.00
h. d. price............1999.00

my price 1599.00 with oil & gas in it
brought it home last sat., have not used it only to split a couple small pices on the patio. i do have a wood cut up & ready to get splittin, nxt. week if the weather holds up.

don`t know if you can tell fron the pix, it is a 34 ton, 25in. split, subrau engine 9 hp. or so h/v. double clamped the hoses. all nuts & bolts { xcept for the engine } are s.a.e. not metric & it is made in america.

starts super easy & on the first pull.... very well balanced..

some more pix....

Attachments

• DSCF3006.jpg
    DSCF3006.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF3007.jpg
    DSCF3007.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF3009.jpg
    DSCF3009.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 370
I am a die-hard Honda guy but I do have a generator with a Subaru motor on it. It's great...I think you'll be very happy with this unit. That being said.....where is the CUP HOLDER?

herman said:
just got it. what do you think. ??

first time posting a pix, not sure if i did it right. tell me if i didn`t

herman

Herman, real nice splitter!
My only question is,....why isn't it dirty? You've had this thing for over a day, and I don't see ANY bark or little pieces of wood ANYWHERE.
Shame on you. ;-)

Looks STRONG!

well i used it some on sat. . took less than 10 min. to split that pile. what i`m splitting is dry maple, that one log just xploded when the wedge got into it. i know for you seasoned splitters that is not much wood for 10 min. work. this was my first splittin session, i`m sure
i`ll get better, faster but i`m really in no hurry.

thought i`d try just runnin the engine just above idle to see if it would still split, man did it ever never boggd down once just kept on splittin. it is to much fun to get in a hurry. have not ran it at full throttle as of yet directios say to run at w.o.t. but do i really need to.??

biggest piece so far was like 13" & knots, no problem even runnin slow. so far i like horiz. better than vert. but a log rack & or work table is needed. gonna try more splittin today, don`t know if i am a splittin fool or a fool splittin.

this is fun....

what are ya`ll splittin with.??

herman

Attachments

• DSCF3019.jpg
    DSCF3019.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCF3014.jpg
    DSCF3014.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF3023.jpg
    DSCF3023.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 302
Very nice and rugged looking machine and made in USA to boot!! WTG I think you landed a beauty and wish you good luck with it..

Ray

Looks like a nice machine w/ some features I like, some I'm not so sure about...
Engine says it's only 7hp, not 9 - which suggests you only have an 11gpm pump, not a 16. With the 5" cylinder implied by the 34 ton rating, that would seem likely to give a slow cycle time...
The engine looks nicely mounted, and fairly well protected against getting bashed by obstacles on rough roads...
I'm not crazy about trunnion mount cylinders, but I haven't seen that many complaints about them either.
The tank and frame design is interesting - it appears that they are using the tank as a chassis member, but have avoided doing the axle-stub welded to the tank that some folks have had troubles with. It will be interesting to see how that end plate design holds up, but it looks nice and robust. Tank capacity looks good, and the design should help keep fluid foaming to a minimum.
It looks like a really excellent jack-stand setup
The hydraulic plumbing looks well done, including the use of a substantial return side filter, and a nice short run on the suction line. Not so thrilled about the hose clamped return line though - I've had one of those lines blow off on me under pressure, and hot hydraulic fluid showers are NO FUN, and make a real mess... I'd consider going to a hydraulic shop and paying the $50 or so it will cost for a manufactured line w/ swaged ends (or shop on-line and get one for less)
I like the valve position - went through a lot of work to get a similar position on my HF splitter.

Overall looks like a real nice machine, only things I'd really be unhappy about are the undersized engine / pump combo and the return line...

As to the question on engine speed, yes, you should be running at full throttle... The gallon per minute output of the pump is a function of engine speed - the faster the engine, the more it pumps. To get the rated pump performance, you need to run the pump at it's design speed, i.e. the full engine speed... You will also find that unless you are running at close to full speed, the engine may stall on tough splits - as the hydraulic pressure goes up, the engine load increases, until either the log splits, the engine stalls from overload, or the pressure relief valve opens... If number one doesn't happen, you want number three, not number two...

BTW, your pictures look fine - the sizing is very nice, it's about what I like to use, a good balance between size and visibility.

Gooserider

thank you all.
so far i`m lovin it

goose,

i was led to believe it was a 9ish. h. p. & yes they told me the pump was 11 g.p.m. i will look inti the return line & fittings. at my age i`m sure in no hurry at all, time

got lots of it { i hope. }

i used it sun. on a small wood pile in the back yard, the spitter is more than i can keep up with { so i don`t even try to} just enjoy being in the outdoors. this week i hope to take it & my trailer to the big { to me } wood pile & do some serious splittin.

i`ll post some pix. does need a work table/log cradle of some kind. full throttle it is.

herman

Herman,
You've captured in your sentiments why I prep my own wood--it's great to have a built-in reason to be outdoors. It reached to the 50's today, so I went out and built a saw buck to play with my tools! Happy splitting.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.