Its 90 Degrees out and you want me to do what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
After a stormy morning on Monday, I gets me a call from a buddy. He had half of a huge oak come down and ended up in the neighbors yard. Big sucker. Asks me if I would come over and help remove it. He simply doesn't have a saw that would do it.

Its 90 Degrees out and I am swinging a 25" bar. Nuts, I tell ya. But I did end up with a nice trailer load of premium stuff, with another cut and sitting to be removed.

Half of a half, with another load of bigger stuff to go:

Attachments

• oakloadsm.jpg
    oakloadsm.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 573
Nice load of oak, looks like you had plenty of shadLEE trees!

gibir

Yea what friends can get you into. :lol: I about puked Sunday.... Oh that oak gets heaver as you go no matter what end you start at.

zapny said:
Nice load of oak, looks like you had plenty of shadLEE trees!

gibir

Thats after I got it home (my yard), but yeah, his is full of 150+ year old oaks. The last couple of years he has kept me in firewood, all on his own. :lol:

Do.It. Though I dont work in the woods in summer very often,1 day a week maximum when schedule & weather permit it,I have worked construction for 27 yrs,outdoors in all kinds of weather from -20 & snowstorms in winter to 100 above with 115 heat index in summer.

Its good for you,helps keep up your strength & tolerance.Sweats out toxins (like maybe too much booze the night before ;-P )

Just remember to take frequent breaks,drink LOTS of water,even if you dont feel thirsty.

Plus woods work gets you a bonus of free heat which is great in the future.Dont have quite the endurance that I did at 30,but have learned to work 'smarter' & not harder,letting machines do the lifting & hauling for me more now.

smokinjay said:
.. Oh that oak gets heaver as you go no matter what end you start at.

No doubt about that. His neighbor (the yard it landed in) came rolling over with his quad and watched for a bit. He then stated that I was making him tired just by watching me. He had to leave because he started to sweat. :roll:

Thistle said:
Do.It. Though I dont work in the woods in summer very often,1 day a week maximum when schedule & weather permit it,I have worked construction for 27 yrs,outdoors in all kinds of weather from -20 & snowstorms in winter to 100 above with 115 heat index in summer.

Its good for you,helps keep up your strength & tolerance.Sweats out toxins (like maybe too much booze the night before ;-P )

Just remember to take frequent breaks,drink LOTS of water,even if you dont feel thirsty.

Plus woods work gets you a bonus of free heat which is great in the future.Dont have quite the endurance that I did at 30,but have learned to work 'smarter' & not harder,letting machines do the lifting & hauling for me more now.

Wat kinda of machine you gotfor lifting?

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I don't know what he has, but this thing really is the sh*t....

Attachments

• IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 540
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Just a winch,come-long & several crowbars for now,but its better than my back & 2 hands only that I used years ago ;-) Brother has a Ford 4500 Industrial tractor with loader that he's helped me with a few times now.For now I cant justify going in debt for such a machine,unless I would go full time or whatever.

I'm on a shoestring budget with one broken string right now lol

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

No doubt about that. His neighbor (the yard it landed in) came rolling over with his quad and watched for a bit. He then stated that I was making him tired just by watching me. He had to leave because he started to sweat. :roll:

We went through a case of water Sunday, and the home owner brougt out some ice cold ones (water that is) right as we wrap it up for the day. I am in No hurry to go back...lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

We went through a case of water Sunday, and the home owner brougt out some ice cold ones (water that is) right as we wrap it up for the day. I am in No hurry to go back...lol

Days like that you would almost sell your soul to see 75 degrees with lo humidity again ...lol

Jags said:
After a stormy morning on Monday, I gets me a call from a buddy. He had half of a huge oak come down and ended up in the neighbors yard. Big sucker. Asks me if I would come over and help remove it. He simply doesn't have a saw that would do it.

Its 90 Degrees out and I am swinging a 25" bar. Nuts, I tell ya. But I did end up with a nice trailer load of premium stuff, with another cut and sitting to be removed.

Half of a half, with another load of bigger stuff to go:

Some clouds just moved in and finally we have some rain, a hard rain with some wind.

gibir

Cloudy here most of the day so far,almost 1/2" rain earlier,more expected soon.Much better than the 94 with 105 heat index yesterday,I was dead by noon.Still split & hauled 1 p/up load in from the field,that was enough for me.79 now with upper 70's tommorow,mid 80's Thursday with mid -upper 90's for the weekend again.

jeff_t said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I don't know what he has, but this thing really is the sh*t....

If that would drop in in the furnace for me, I would be a buyer...lol j/k Looks like an Awesome way to move the weight. :cheese:

I wish somebody would call me to remove their oak tree! I am careful though to know when to quit...I tend to get a bit carless when the heat starts getting to me.

muncybob said:
I wish somebody would call me to remove their oak tree! .

His quad driving neighbor inquired if I wanted to take another one that was in his back yard and already brushed out. I told him that if you are looking to make the wood go away, I never turn down oak that is in the horizontal position. It has been there since spring, so I am guessing that it isn't going anywhere fast. Don't even care if it does.

I am currently easily at the 3 year mark on wood, with another land owner begging me to come clean up the woods that she and her sister (old spinsters) live in. It is two miles away with drive up access. More wood there than I could keep up with. Mostly Osage, Oak, hard maple and Black Walnut in that group.

I really do feel for the folks that have to work to scrounge up wood. I'm not sure I would do it, if I didn't have such easy sources.

I've had 3 calls to remove oak trees from people's yards in the past 6 months. Ended up with 26 loads hauled out...probably about 12 cord worth. I have yet to find a light load...makes the standing dead red elm I was cutting last year feel kid sized.

I do not mind working in the heat for short periods of time, like 2 to 3 hours. I am a sweat hog as it is so I am used to my tee shirt being soaked. I am not going to complain about heat, I prefer it to the cold and rain. In fact I have had some big fires in the 90 degree heat, trying to rid my property of limbs after clearing many a tree. I can't wait to get the place in order, the company is late on building my Pole barn and the wife is getting anxious. My broken hand is just about healed and I have been starting to split wood again. I am finding that white oak is harder to split than red oak, or is it my bad hand? Jags. looks like you got your wood all lined up and you are nice and spoiled with your sources.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I do not mind working in the heat for short periods of time, like 2 to 3 hours. I am a sweat hog as it is so I am used to my tee shirt being soaked. I am finding that white oak is harder to split than red oak, or is it my bad hand?

lol I was on my 3rd shirt by the time I quit Monday around 1230.I sweat quite a bit myself,once its above 50 or 60 degrees.I try to stay between 170-75lbs if not a bit lower.Weighed Mon morning before starting,was 176,when I checked again 5hrs later had dropped to 172,even with drinking water every 20 min & working in the shade.Its good for you,I just have to slow down in the heat compared to when I was 30 or 35.

White & Bur Oak is tougher than Red/Black,all things like size,dryness of wood etc being equal.Grain not quite as straight,it can be quite stringy at times,whether there's any knots or not.Split almost 1 load of it in past month,in same length of time ended up splitting twice as much Red with much less effort.At least 90% of Red/Black I can split easily with X25 or Plumb double bit,most all the White I had to swing that huge Monster Maul just to bust them open.

Go get 'em Jags! That is some prime wood for sure. Never mind the heat; it is only going to get worse next week....

Thistle said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
I do not mind working in the heat for short periods of time, like 2 to 3 hours. I am a sweat hog as it is so I am used to my tee shirt being soaked. I am finding that white oak is harder to split than red oak, or is it my bad hand?

lol I was on my 3rd shirt by the time I quit Monday around 1230.I sweat quite a bit myself,once its above 50 or 60 degrees.I try to stay between 170-75lbs if not a bit lower.Weighed Mon morning before starting,was 176,when I checked again 5hrs later had dropped to 172,even with drinking water every 20 min & working in the shade.Its good for you,I just have to slow down in the heat compared to when I was 30 or 35.

White & Bur Oak is tougher than Red/Black,all things like size,dryness of wood etc being equal.Grain not quite as straight,it can be quite stringy at times,whether there's any knots or not.Split almost 1 load of it in past month,in same length of time ended up splitting twice as much Red with much less effort.At least 90% of Red/Black I can split easily with X25 or Plumb double bit,most all the White I had to swing that huge Monster Maul just to bust them open.
We sound similiar Thistle, although you weigh alot less than me, but of course I have an office job during the day. I found the same thing that the Monster Maul was necessary on the big white Oak. Still tough with the MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.