It's Back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Zap......1.Stack of hickory lumber check
2. 55 gallon drum of cookies off the saw bucks check
3. Cord of beech,mulberry, red oak next to the furnace check.
4. Waiting for Zap not to see he's shadow? Please Zap only 6 more weeks of winter.....

smokinjay said:
4. Waiting of Zap not to see he's shadow? Please Zap only 6 more weeks of winter.....

I hear ya Smokin, I'm ready for some 20 - 30 degree weather also. We'll push in a rack of cherry (4x4) tonight then on the weekend another rack of sugar maple or beech.

I want one good day this weekend so I can drop three trees (all damaged,broken tops) one beech and two sugar maples which should give us enough to replace the 3.05 cord of cherry we'll have burned this winter. Then if I can get another three cord before fall we'll have over twenty cord.

I'll get a measurement at DBH of the trees that I drop this weekend so I can estimate how many cord we'll get out of them.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
4. Waiting of Zap not to see he's shadow? Please Zap only 6 more weeks of winter.....

I hear ya Smokin, I'm ready for some 20 - 30 degree weather also. We'll push in a rack of cherry (4x4) tonight then on the weekend another rack of sugar maple or beech.

I want one good day this weekend so I can drop three trees (all damaged,broken tops) one beech and two sugar maples which should give us enough to replace the 3.05 cord of cherry we'll have burned this winter. Then if I can get another three cord before fall we'll have over twenty cord.

I'll get a measurement at DBH of the trees that I drop this weekend so I can estimate how many cord we'll get out of them.

zap

I will have all guns blazing on this one....Broad side if you will...lol Just hope this is the last big round. Got about 200 board foot of hickory to even the odd's alittle on this one. The cookie rounds are just as good mostly ash and 55 gallons of those.

Sure wish I had a couple hundred lbs of coal!

localLEE said:
It's 60 degrees warmer here today than it was early yesterday morning and it's only a few degrees over freezing!

we have 28 degrees today. Not going to stick around though.

Damn - I was hoping for a little longer warm up - oh well! Zap - are you sure it isn't 3.06 cord of cherry? :p

zap, I was startin' to like you. ;-P
Then, you go and report something like this.
I guess forewarned, is forearmed, eh?
This cold has made me realize I need more insulation, or a bigger stove, or both.
Stay warm.

PapaDave said:
This cold has made me realize I need more insulation, or a bigger stove, or both.

I was thinking the same thing PD. 2nd stove, insulation and some bloody siding and drywall.

PapaDave said:
zap, I was startin' to like you. ;-P
Then, you go and report something like this.
I guess forewarned, is forearmed, eh?
Stay warm.

I just want to make sure I have some good hardwood ready and in the house so I keep track of the weather, plus if I can get one or maybe two more weekends of cutting in I'll have about 3 cord cut this winter.

zap

Yep, I check the weather every day.
I think I'm going to wait a couple months to start cutting.
Last year, I finished in Feb., for getting 3 years worth done, then got lazy.
I'll do wood for '13-'14 this year, maybe more.
I was really going through some large splits during this last spell we had. Looks like it's time to find some more.

Same here again today. near 40f, light wind.
36° at 11pm, 1/2 load.
Snow is melting. Go figure???

bogydave said:
36° at 11pm, 1/2 load.

Same here 40 Thursday! Woooot Woooo, going to be short lived though! Signs of spring done the less.........

It's a total white out here in NNJ - snow's really coming down and temps in the 20's. It's really supposed to kick in around 6pm and snow 2 inches an hour over night.

I'm ready - my garage is loaded with wood. I hope the weekend is better - as I am itching to do some cutting! I opted to go to the RV show and watch football last weekend - since the snow was deep and temps were brutal. We could use a break.

rain here and 40s. I am pretty glad about that because our 'new' merged company has decided to make us choose:
drive to work on the ice while schools, hospitals et al are closed, you will have nothing to do at work except surf the internet,
and state troopers are telling ppl to stay off the roads....or use paid time off to stay safe.

2 years ago, it was a 'if you come in, we reward you with a pto day' or 'if you don't come in, it won't count against your pto'. That and two paid holidays are gone. Poof.

I know you snowbound types laugh, but we are usually on the freezing/thaw line and get mostly ice, or refreeze after snow.
Even the displaced Yankees can't drive on that stuff. esp the ones used to riding the subway most of their lives.

It could be worse .... I think its cold till I come n sit by the stove....... What about the early settlers they had it rough we got it made......

smokinjay said:
4. Waiting for Zap not to see he's shadow? Please Zap only 6 more weeks of winter.....

Last night when I came into the garage that three year old (stacked two) white ash caught my eye, looks like this weekend I'll be cutting down some white ash for n/s burning. This will be a first for burning ash, what type of burn times can you get.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Last night when I came into the garage that three year old (stacked two) white ash caught my eye, looks like this weekend I'll be cutting down some white ash for n/s burning. This will be a first for burning ash, what type of burn times can you get.

zap

Its in the same ball park as the sugar maple. Maybe not quite as hot but close.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Its in the same ball park as the sugar maple. Maybe not quite as hot but close.

Nice, looks like I'll get one more weekend of cutting until we have to worry about another storm.

Zap

bogydave said:
36° at 11pm, 1/2 load.

So Cent ALASKA

AAAAhhhhhh....***Booof***

(that would be Jags head exploding)

I was talking to some folks about today's date. On this day in 1967 our ground was bare at the start. It started snowing around 10:30 am and did not stop until the next day. I had never seen so much snow in my life! This area still has not seen nearly that much snow since and I doubt I'll see another one in my lifetime. However, I have lived where there was lots more snow than I ever dreamed. One time in one town folks were fighting because one guy was throwing his snow onto the neighbor's etc. This was being done from the rooftops! Most houses you could not see and to shovel snow off the roofs they had to shovel the snow up and not down. Many tried using snow blowers and it worked for a few. Naturally there were many commercial businesses who needed new buildings that year because they could not hold up with that much snow. I remember it was well over 300" that one year and yes, that was in MIchigan.

You need to start taking back your share of that snow Sav! I just spent (with Mrs 'bert) the last 3 nights shoveling snow off my roof! It was 4 feet deep in some areas (no BS). I have never had to do that before since we built almost 7 years ago and hope never to again. So pls call your weather people and put in a request to have some snow sent from Alberta. Please???? :-S

Dennis you don't need to be getting any snow after Sunday, who's going to plow you out?

Bert, I thought you were on the dry side of the rockies, sure a different year. River & lakes are gonna be full come spring.

From nat parks: Did You Know?
Crater Lake National Park gets an average of 533 inches of snow per year - that is more than 44 feet of snow!

When I was stationed there, (70s) on Hamaker Mt, Keno Air Force Sta, Or. We would drive to Crater lake in the winter.
That is allot of snow, you could stand on a Greyhound bus & not reach the top of the snow berm along the road.
Huge snow blower maintain the road. No fear of leaving the road. 20' walled bobsled track.

Hamaker mt, would get about 15', at the radar site I worked at. It was impressive.
Cascades get lots.

We got some freezing rain then 1/2" of snow today. 28°f now. Hope it stays below freezing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.