It's been a while since posting... Have a question about new stove size.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow4me

Nov 24, 2008
S/E Michigan
Hi guys, been a while since I've been on here. I started as a new member a few years ago and bought a new Jotul F100 for my little bunkhouse up north in Michigan. I never did get it installed due to the fact that we don't get up there too much due to moving to our new house and such. Anyhow, I am thinking of putting in a small stove in my living room at the new house but the room is very small. I am worried I am going to boil us out of the room if I'm not careful of the stove I select. My main purpose for wanting a stove is primarily for looks and ambiance and not so much heating. Do you have any suggestions for a nice stove with a decent viewing area for me? I am looking to go with a black enamel if it matters? I really appreciate the help and am having fun reading all the threads since I've been gone. Thanks, Daryl

That's a tough one as you are hoping for the best of both worlds! Does burn time matter much to you?

Why not just repurpose and use the F100? It won't heat you out of the space unless you want it to.

Thanks for the replies so far! I guess I am not sure what I want! I want to be able to heat the main floor I suppose but I am worried it'll cook me out of the living room. I'm not one for an 80 degree house, 68 degrees is my temp of choice year round. We are still planning on using the F100 up north so we will be needing something new for here. I am very inexperienced on these stoves but have very fond memories of our fireplace from when I was a kid. Thanks guys.

Maby find out what stove dealers are around you ( brand that is ) and a good name for themselves as a dealer, a possible pic of where your install will go, possible floor plan, and the aces on here will be of the best help, welcome back too !

Thanks Todd 2! There is a place right down the road from me that I'm gonna check out Thursday that has lots of stoves. Is the Jotul F3 the next step up from the F100 does anyone know? I really like the brown enamel they offer it in. Wish I was sitting in front of the fire right now!

Give us some dimensions to work with. How many sq ft in the home? How many sq feet in the living room? How open is this area to the rest of the house?

How well does air move through the living room where the stove will be? I have a wood stove in a 450 square foot room, a downstairs poorly insulated room, and I can't cook myself out of the room unless I close the door leading up the stairs. As long as I have cooler air moving down the stairs while hot air is moving up the stove room will not get too hot. So, my point is that if the room is well connected to the rest of the house I wouldn't worry too much about overheating. I'd worry more about not having a large enough stove to get the burn times you want. I think the difference between a smaller stove and a larger one is mostly burn time and not so much the heat output.

Snow, have you considered soapstone? The heat from those is a bit different. Not a "harsh" heat but described rightly as a "soft" heat. The Woodstock Fireview might suit you very nicely.

As for the room getting too hot, have you seen posts on this forum about setting a small desktop fan in the doorway and blowing cool air into the stove room? Doing this will help keep the temperature down a bit in the stove room and really does move a lot of warm air to the other rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.