It's been dry and hot here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
After record breaking rainfall this spring we are now putting up with very dry conditions and most days well above 85 degrees with below average humidity. Forecast for the next 7 days shows every day 90+ around here.

Last night the Mrs came in and stated she could not close the bolt latch on one of the barn gates. In years gone by I would have though maybe I need to go and adjust it but these days the 1st thing that popped into my mind is if the wooden gate has shrunk from the dryness just imagine how dry my wood piles are getting! :)

I'm happy about the drying of the firewood but I really wish we would get some decent rain.

Pretty much the same here. Only one day this week forecast to be below 90 degrees. Humidity is supposed to be going up today too with the possibility of a few thunder bumpers tomorrow. We surely need the rain but no severe storms.

Since the third week of June we have received about a tenth of an inch of rain. Most of yesterday afternoon was spent hauling water. We put most of it on the fruit trees and bushes and some on the sweet corn. I'll probably be hauling lots of water this week to keep things alive. And in the meantime, the wood is drying nicely.

Wish we were getting the RH in the mid-forties, like you guys are. More like mid-fifties here. >:-(

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll probably be hauling lots of water this week to keep things alive.

I'm in the same boat. I was lazy this Spring and didn't get the irrigation system set up in the garden. I'm paying for it with watering time.

The ash that I split earlier is drying nicely and I am starting to see the splits in it. My garden is doing great! I've got cukes coming out one ear and beans coming out the other. I've put seven bags of beans in the freezer in less than a week. Tomatoes are loaded and starting to ripen. We did get some severe storms last week so that helped with stuff.

fv

muncybob said:
After record breaking rainfall this spring we are now putting up with very dry conditions and most days well above 85 degrees with below average humidity. Forecast for the next 7 days shows every day 90+ around here.

Last night the Mrs came in and stated she could not close the bolt latch on one of the barn gates. In years gone by I would have though maybe I need to go and adjust it but these days the 1st thing that popped into my mind is if the wooden gate has shrunk from the dryness just imagine how dry my wood piles are getting! :)

I'm happy about the drying of the firewood but I really wish we would get some decent rain.

Just had a quick storm with some rain motor through and dropped the temp down to 65. :zip:

zap

Temps in mid 90s with humidity in the mid 60s.

Think that makes for a "feels like" temp of about 145F...

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I'll probably be hauling lots of water this week to keep things alive.

I'm in the same boat. I was lazy this Spring and didn't get the irrigation system set up in the garden. I'm paying for it with watering time.

Just the opposite here. The left coast is stuck in a cool wet pattern which is unusual and not too welcome at this time of year. Had to turn on the heat pump today. >:-(

Just saw the weather forecast for this week...low for Wednesday and Thursday somewhere around low 70's...YUK!

Any stacking I'm doing will get done early in the morning or it will have to wait!

We haven't had meaningful precipitation in a couple weeks. Had to go out and water the garden and new landscape shrubs last night. Today is supposed to be the "coolest" day of the week at 92 with heat index of 102. By Friday 98 and heat index of near 120...no rain in sight.

The only bright spot is it should cut down on the mowing for a while.

muncybob said:
Just saw the weather forecast for this week...low for Wednesday and Thursday somewhere around low 70's...YUK!

Any stacking I'm doing will get done early in the morning or it will have to wait!

We had a good rain through the night with some storms moving in today hopefully with more rain. Looks like the rest of this week will be hot and humid.

zap

zapny said:
with some storms moving in today hopefully with more rain.

We just had a nice 45 minute soaking. Feel pretty smart about the 2 hours I spent watering last night :shut:

Just like training for a race, stack it EARLY or late.

fv

lukem said:
Today is supposed to be the "coolest" day of the week at 92 with heat index of 102. By Friday 98 and heat index of near 120...no rain in sight.
HI near 120?!! That must be a misprint. We are forecast to hit 110 here. I'm taking advantage of the "mild" weather today to finish hauling out the last few rounds of an Ash I cut yesterday, and cut, buck and haul a blowdown Cherry. I also need to finish cleaning up the Sugar Maple cut next door by the power company. During the heat wave we'll be sitting in the shade, running the splitter and sucking water like there's no tomorrow.

Dog woke me up at 5 this morning, so I got motivated and did this. It was 75° when I left the house. It's 73° now, but the sun just cleared the clouds and I'm done. I'll probably throw it off the trailer, have a shower, and sit around the house the rest of the day. Headed for the low 90s again.

Attachments

• IMG_20110718_091910.jpg
    IMG_20110718_091910.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 189
Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
Today is supposed to be the "coolest" day of the week at 92 with heat index of 102. By Friday 98 and heat index of near 120...no rain in sight.
HI near 120?!! That must be a misprint. We are forecast to hit 110 here. I'm taking advantage of the "mild" weather today to finish hauling out the last few rounds of an Ash I cut yesterday, and cut, buck and haul a blowdown Cherry. I also need to finish cleaning up the Sugar Maple cut next door by the power company. During the heat wave we'll be sitting in the shade, running the splitter and sucking water like there's no tomorrow.

Not a typo...but the weatherman says heat index (feels like temp) of 110 - 120 possible. I hope he's wrong. We hit 114 heat index week before last and it was not fun.

lukem said:
weatherman says heat index (feels like temp) of 110 - 120 possible. I hope he's wrong. We hit 114 heat index week before last and it was not fun.
Yeah, we hit 114 also. No relief in sight til Monday. We're gonna fry like bacon. I really need to see about getting some kind of AC in this place. :lol:

Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
weatherman says heat index (feels like temp) of 110 - 120 possible. I hope he's wrong. We hit 114 heat index week before last and it was not fun.
Yeah, we hit 114 also. No relief in sight til Monday. We're gonna fry like bacon. I really need to see about getting some kind of AC in this place. :lol:

Yeah, AC is good stuff. Didn't have it until I was 23 and bought my own place though...now I don't know how I survived without it.

Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
If the Midwest has anything, it's seasonal variability. Using wind chills and heat index we have a good 150 degrees of range...

Danno77 said:
Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
If the Midwest has anything, it's seasonal variability. Using wind chills and heat index we have a good 150 degrees of range...

Yep, and it seems like we can get half of that swing in 3 days!

Hit 98 yesterday here with 114 heat index by 4PM.Same expected today,supposed to be 90+ here through Sunday now.Heat Warning issued on Friday afternoon,in effect until this Thursday evening.Check on the elderly,pets,those with respiritory ailments etc make sure they have access to AC,fans,shade & plenty of cool fresh water.

delete double post

My wife works 3rd shift and usually before she heads off to be arounf 5pm she'll ask what I plan to do before dark, got a feeling response will be the same for the next few days....."nuthin'"!

One thing to watch is the dewpoint. Once it gets to 70 or above that weather can feel downright awful. Our dewpoint just hit 70 and should go higher as the day progresses. I see some showers coming from the NW but I don't think any will get here.

Backwoods Savage said:
One thing to watch is the dewpoint. Once it gets to 70 or above that weather can feel downright awful. Our dewpoint just hit 70 and should go higher as the day progresses. I see some showers coming from the NW but I don't think any will get here.

Kinda like this? It's headin' your way Dennis.

Terre Haute International Airport
Lat: 39.46 Lon: -87.3 Elev: 575
Last Update on Jul 18, 11:53 am EDT

A Few Clouds

89 °F
(32 °C)
Humidity: 59 %
Wind Speed: W 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.10" (1018.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 73 °F (23 °C)
Heat Index: 97 °F (36 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.