It's DONE & here's the pics to prove it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
a month ago I was asking a zillion questions about hearth building. Well, I've been plodding at it and I'm now up and running.
Hearth build: 2x4 framing with 1/2" plywood on bottom, layer of 3/4" plywood on top, 1/2" hardiebacker board then layer of porcelain tile.
Hearth dimensions: 53" long sides, 37.5" short sides and the angled front is 20.5"

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!
Nancy

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,557
  • the_build.jpg
    the_build.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,288
They make a wood and a corn pellet version. I happened to find it by doing a google search and I have a John Deere dealer about 5 miles away so I jumped on it. Beware though, I didn't find one dealer in about 100 miles who actually had a setup that you could look at and the people aren't really knowledgeable about it. The manufacturer of the JD stoves also make the St. Croix stoves. Here's the link to their stoves on the JD website: John Deere link

Looks great! Glad you got everything hooked up and running!

Beautiful job. Enjoy it!

What do you think it cost you to make this? ie, would it have been cheaper just to buy one?

Are those hot water baseboards along the wall and behind the stove? If so, what is your primary heat source? Fuel oil hot water boiler? Natural Gas, propane? Just curious....

I like your hearth. In particular, the color of your porcelain tiles. Nice job!

briansol said:
What do you think it cost you to make this? ie, would it have been cheaper just to buy one?

Well, the lumber & cement board was cheap (<$60 probably). The tile & equip probably cost about $150 or so. The most expensive ingredient - crawling around on the floor scrapping my knees and killing my back, re-arranging the tiles 5 times before picking a pattern that fit, applying thin-set and grout humped over like a 90yr old (I'm 61), etc., etc., etc. Many times my mantra during the process was "never again" BUT I have to say that I sit and look at it many minutes throughout the day and just can't get over how sweet it looks - PRICELESS.

Even with all that, I think that it is still much cheaper than the manufactured ones (esp the elevated hearths). I guess you have to figure in whether the labor and time is worth it. The satisfaction certainly was for me.

Chain said:
Are those hot water baseboards along the wall and behind the stove? If so, what is your primary heat source? Fuel oil hot water boiler? Natural Gas, propane? Just curious....

I like your hearth. In particular, the color of your porcelain tiles. Nice job!

Thanks for that!
My primary heat source WAS water baseboards heated with a fuel oil furnace. The guy who installed my pellet stove also filled the hot water pipes from the furnace with "glycol for hydronic systems" to keep my pipes from freezing on those cold nights. I didn't know anything about it. He was the one who suggested it. The pellet stove is now my primary heat source.

Looks great! Is that a fixed or opening window to the right of the stove and how close is it to the vent pipe?

Very nice job, Nancy!

Planning to stain that frame? I think a dark stain would really compliment the floor and tile IMHO.

briansol said:

Nice looking set-up Nancy!--very nice.

It's not always about the money for me.
Many times I'll tackle a project for the experience and to challenge myself :ahhh:.
I usually come out ahead but if not, it's no big deal to me.
Jerry.

Hello

Congrats and good luck with your new stove. Very nice hearth build too!

What a surprise, the John Deer HR-WPS02 looks just like the some St. Croix models.

John Deer HR-WPS02 shows it as the Wood Pellet Stove Version
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US.../hr_wps02_black_door/hr_wps02_black_door.page

St. Croix Auburn is shown as a Corn or Pellet Stove here
http://www.pelletstovefires.com/st-croix-auburn.html

St. Croix Auburn on St Croix web site is shown as a Multi-fuel stove here
http://stcroixstoves.com/traditional-multi-fuel-stove-auburn.php

St. Croix shows the St. Croix Prescott ESP is just the Wood Pellet Stove version!
http://stcroixstoves.com/pedestal-pellet-stove-prescottexp.php

Attachments

• JohnDeerHR-WPS02WoodPelletStove.jpg
    JohnDeerHR-WPS02WoodPelletStove.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,239
nancyp said:
briansol said:

Well, the lumber & cement board was cheap (<$60 probably). The tile & equip probably cost about $150 or so. The most expensive ingredient - crawling around on the floor scrapping my knees and killing my back, re-arranging the tiles 5 times before picking a pattern that fit, applying thin-set and grout humped over like a 90yr old (I'm 61), etc., etc., etc. Many times my mantra during the process was "never again" BUT I have to say that I sit and look at it many minutes throughout the day and just can't get over how sweet it looks - PRICELESS.

Even with all that, I think that it is still much cheaper than the manufactured ones (esp the elevated hearths). I guess you have to figure in whether the labor and time is worth it. The satisfaction certainly was for me.

Nice hearth!! I remember making mine and saying the SAME thing as you..."NEVER AGAIN", ,,but now I am thinking of building ANOTHER one in the basement.

We just don't learn I guess...LOL.

I like your hearth in the corner also...always seems nicer than just against a wall.

Absolutely great.

I was not aware that JD did a stove either.

I did a similar setup year before last.

Just watching the fire and enjoying all the warmth makes all the sore muscles and skinned knees worth it for sure.

Just stopped off at home and stuffed another pail of nut shells in my stove before returning to the office.

Again, great job

Enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

Here is a Piccy of our setup.

You can make a very cool "Brick Look" with paint and a little imagination.
Some old horse shoes welded to some L brackets to support a "mantel" is cool too.

The cost of doing the brick look is pretty cheap, a few colors of latex paint, some masking tape, some sponges to apply the paint and your off to the Rodeo.

Ms Snowy

Attachments

• Advantage II.jpg
    Advantage II.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 609
nancyp said:
briansol said:

X2, I agree. You can do so much better building your own hearth. You could never buy such a nice fancy tile design you have there!!
Very nice!

I too built a raised 220vac 900 watt heated hearth and tile back plane with a Mantel with candles and Rope lights for about $600 but it would cost thousands if I could find someone else to do it!!

Attachments

• PS1PelletStove 013SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 013SC.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 682
  • PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 541
  • PS1PelletStove 020SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 020SC.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 547
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 593
Nice looking job all around Nancy! Aren't these forums great.
Enjoy the warmth.

Don2222 said:
X2, I agree. You can do so much better building your own hearth. You could never buy such a nice fancy tile design you have there!!
Very nice!

I too built a raised 220vac 900 watt heated hearth and tile back plane with a Mantel with candles and Rope lights for about $600 but it would cost thousands if I could find someone else to do it!!

When I was looking at styles, I saw your pictures on the forum. I don't remember the rope lights though. I thought about a fan in the base just as a way to disperse any heat but by then I thought I'd be biting off more than I could chew and I did want to keep it cheaper. Nice hearth!!

PA_Clinker said:
Looks great! Is that a fixed or opening window to the right of the stove and how close is it to the vent pipe?

And herein lies the possible problem.... Before I got the stove, I saw the similarity of the St. Croix Prescott and the John Deere stove I ordered. I was anxious to get the requirements for the floor protection and anything else about it. There is no such thing as downloading a manual from the JD website. The stove and it's manual didn't arrive for 2 months. In the St. Croix manuals they indicate that attaching an outside air intake would reduce the distance required to windows, doors etc. to 9" instead of the usual 4ft. The manufacturer of the John Deere stove also makes the St. Croix. Nobody I spoke to at John Deere had any clue as to requirements - and these were the local dealerships I was talking to. When the JD stove and manual arrived it only made reference to the 4ft distance so I was stuck. Nothing was mentioned about installing the outside air kit reducing it. My code officer was going to look at the local code law but he thought I'd be alright. The window at this time is screwed shut and if necessary, I'll caulk it. If absolutely necessary, I'll remove it even though I don't want to. There is NO PLACE in my house that is 4ft from a window or door.

xraycer said:
Very nice job, Nancy!

Planning to stain that frame? I think a dark stain would really compliment the floor and tile IMHO.

Well, I thought about it but I have several different darker stained wood colors in my living room and I was trying to lighten it up a bit. The frame has already been sanded and polyurethaned. I always have the option of doing a stain later and I might. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.