It's filling the shed. (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
To windy to cut, so split & stacked instead
Was going to make another tip to the cutting area but the wind is gusting to 45, not a tree felling day
So I split & stacked some of what I've got so far. Plan to finish tomorrow if it's still windy.
Stacked it in the shed, it'll be there 2 years+, ready for 2013-14 winter.
Had it about 1/2 full from various scrounges thru the summer.
4 rows 15' X 7.4 feet high 17" splits (stacked to the roof). All birch. This section was what I burned last winter. 5 cords +/-. Was empty. Almost full again.

Attachments

• 100_6747.jpg
    100_6747.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 876
  • 100_6746.jpg
    100_6746.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 879
  • 100_6748.jpg
    100_6748.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 100_6750.jpg
    100_6750.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 869
Dave that looks really nice in that shed. I wouldn't cut in 45 mph wind either.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . happiness is a full woodshed.

Looking forward to having my shed make me happy too! I def stay out of the woods when it's windy...splitting is good use of times when you can't be cuttin'!

Looks great, Dave!
I just burned some white birch for the first time in 30+ years of wood burning. For some reason I've always been under the impression that it burned like cottonwood. Not at all! It dries quickly and burns nicely. I didn't have a bunch, so I have no idea of coaling qualities or anything like that, but I'll certainly have no problem adding it to my woodpiles if I ever run into it again.

Man thats a lot of work.

exactly as jake said, nothing like peace of mind when you walk by the woodshed and see it full of ready to go wood.

Beautiful sight indeed...those end cross-stacks are perfect, very nice. I bet it smells good too (OK, I confess, I am a wood sniffer...) :)

bogydave said:
To windy to cut, so split & stacked instead
Was going to make another tip to the cutting area but the wind is gusting to 45, not a tree felling day
So I split & stacked some of what I've got so far. Plan to finish tomorrow if it's still windy.
Stacked it in the shed, it'll be there 2 years+, ready for 2013-14 winter.
Had it about 1/2 full from various scrounges thru the summer.
4 rows 15' X 7.4 feet high 17" splits (stacked to the roof). All birch. This section was what I burned last winter. 5 cords +/-. Was empty. Almost full again.

bogydave, it looks great, nice job. One of these days (after the cabin build) we hope to have a shed.

zap

Nice work, it's a great feeling being a few years ahead, keep at it.

Thanks all.
Terrible weather day. 40°, Windy & rain. Not much to be done with wood processing today.
I split the rest of the rounds yesterday & was going to finish filling the shed today. Procrastination bites me again.
Water boots & rain gear? Maybe it'll let up later.
Could be snow :) I guess that'll happen soon enough.
Got wet just going out to take these pics.

Zap: I thought yo were starting your shed this year? You got enough wood ready for a few seasons?
Give the woods a rest & sink a few corner posts.

Attachments

• 100_6751.jpg
    100_6751.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 542
  • 100_6752.jpg
    100_6752.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_6753.jpg
    100_6753.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 562
That full frontal of the shed is great. 15 cord of wood under a roof must be a great view from the house.

bogydave said:
Thanks all.
Terrible weather day. 40°, Windy & rain. Not much to be done with wood processing today.
I split the rest of the rounds yesterday & was going to finish filling the shed today. Procrastination bites me again.

Zap: I thought yo were starting your shed this year? You got enough wood ready for a few seasons?

Since we decided on building a cabin starting next year plus milling our own wood for some of the cabin it has been put on the side burner.

zap

zapny said:
bogydave said:
Thanks all.

Since we decided on building a cabin starting next year plus milling our own wood for some of the cabin it has been put on the side burner.

zap

Ah! You are one busy man.
Your are building a cabin. I think that's more important than a wood shed.
Then you can build a wood shed at the cabin. :)

SolarAndWood said:
That full frontal of the shed is great. 15 cord of wood under a roof must be a great view from the house.

In the summer, it great to sit on the deck, look over the wood shed at the Mts. (while enjoying a MGD or 2).
You know the feeling, hard to describe but a good feeling.
Hard work that's "Done" & you can look at & feel the warmth; may best describes it.

bogydave said:
You know the feeling, hard to describe but a good feeling.

lol, I do. Can't get it by paying a gas bill.

I stuffed this section full. Had to use a ladder to stuff the last few at the top, in the rafters.
Still had some left. I'll have to season out by the spruce stacks.
The weather today makes me think the road to the wood cutting area may be to slick/icy to haul wood out.
I'll think about it, maybe chains, maybe wait until next Sept/Oct (Permit expires Oct 20, 20012). Good for 3 more cords.

Attachments

• 100_6755.jpg
    100_6755.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 414
Dave,

I look at what you have, and I'm not talking about just the 15 cords of wood- that's awesome, but I mean the land, the view, the time to cut wood like that and I think you are truly a blessed man. That looks amazing.

Yeah awesome weather today.. haha.

I worked outside all day too till I left for work at 2PM. Get into Anchorage and it was sunny. What the heck?

bogydave said:
I stuffed this section full. Had to use a ladder to stuff the last few at the top, in the rafters.
The weather today makes me think the road to the wood cutting area may be to slick/icy to haul wood out.
I'll think about it, maybe chains, maybe wait until next Sept/Oct (Permit expires Oct 20, 20012). Good for 3 more cords.

HehHeh . . . you're like me . . . I can never help myself . . . I always try to stuff it just as full as I can get it . . . figuring that I might just need that one or two extra splits if it is an especially long winter . . . or more likely if itis an especially long two winters and I cannot restock the woodshed.

DaFattKidd said:
Dave,

I look at what you have, and I'm not talking about just the 15 cords of wood- that's awesome, but I mean the land, the view, the time to cut wood like that and I think you are truly a blessed man. That looks amazing.

Thanks
When you get "down sized" you have to come up with ways to save $$ & still work.
Now I work for me, & so far, no taxes on my wood, garden, Fish & game.
Some call it retired, I just call it working for me & my family.
Blessed? Yes!

firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:

HehHeh . . . you're like me . . . I can never help myself . . . I always try to stuff it just as full as I can get it . . . figuring that I might just need that one or two extra splits if it is an especially long winter . . . or more likely if itis an especially long two winters and I cannot restock the woodshed.

lol; I was thinking exactly the same thing, "a few more splits may be just enough if we get long winter".
I was amazed how many split fit thru the gap in the eve above the roof support beam & how much it took to fill the void.
I had to make one more trip & select splits that would fit, about 1/2 a trailer more, thats about 4 days worth. :)
I figure I'll worry how to get it out when I need it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.