Its in! Osburn 1800 Fan Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores57

Nov 19, 2005
Well winter seems over here but my Osburn insert got installed today. We made a raised hearth for it to sit on out of concrete
which is on 4 steel pipe legs. Kind of an industrial,high tech look. Love it! I will try to post a picture soon.
My question is this insert has a fan and it does not work. Unless I am mistaken and this is the kind where the fan comes on only when it gets up to temp. I know there are a couple of Osburn Insert users here.......can you tell me how its suppossed to work.
I love this stove but the instructions were so horrible. My instaler has been doing this for 20 yrs and he said he had never seen such bad instructions. d.

From the manual it appears that this is a manually operated fan. It should come on when switched on. There is a warning not to turn it on too soon as it will cool down the stove. If you are sure that the outlet is live and it is not coming on, call the dealer to fix.

Osbern changed the way the fan assembly connects to the front of the stove. If you have a gold louver on the front of the fan box it is the older style, if its all black it is the newer style, although the new is improved it still works off of a thermal disk to send power the the fan. Some of the other manufactures do but a override switch in so you can turn on the fan manually but Osburn does not. But what I did is added my Owen switch, a easier way to get the fan to work off the factory variable speed switch is to take the two wires off of the thermodisk and just splice them together. Just make sure you unplug it first. Also you want to make sure the stove is up to a good hot temp before you turn on the fan (makes for a more efficient burn) Good luck and send a pic.

The fan is controlled by a thermalcouple switch that only allows the fan to run when the stove is hot enough to support it's use. The manual is basically wrong here. Just keep the fan turned on and let the electronics do the work. I do adjust the speed depending on the size of the fire and the heat required of it, but mostly that's just tinkering. Your Osburn will get pretty hot before the fan switches on. Another thing you'll notice is that if the fan is not on because the stove isn't hot enough, but there is a lot of coals, open the door, and move the coals aound a bit to get them burning better, and most likely the fan will come on. That may not be desirable if you've got a lot of wispy ashes around the stove as they get blown around by the fan.

Welcome to the Osburn club...We love ours.

Thanks for jumping in guys. What a bummer to have a manual with glaring omissions and errors. There's no excuse for that.

My Osburn is in too. It arrived last week and we did the install yesterday. I went with the 2400 insert. Had the first fire in it tonight. According to the manual the first two fires are supposed to be 250 degrees and then the following fire is supposed to be 450 max temp. Once all that metal gets heated up it takes quite a while to cool down. I noticed when I opened the door a little bit no smoke came into the room but if I opened the door wide open some smoke would enter the room. Is this normal? Also how long should it take to get this stove up to temp.? The other good news is I found an almost unlimited supply of oak for free. As usual thanks for the help.

jason, I have a 2400 insert, also. with the big door opening on the 2400, you can suck the smoke right out of the insert if you open the door fast.

I open it a crack to break the seal, wait a second or two - then slowly open it fully, and no smoke is pulled out (assuming its not a roaring fire - and if it is, why are you opening the door?)

I did not worry too much about the break-in temp scheme... I just did a small first test fire let it burn out (parts of the 2400 pallet), then a bigger one, then still bigger the next night. when I smelled the burnt plastic from the sticker I forgot to take off the chimmney liner connector - I figured that was full temp.

gotta love that big 2400 glass window - I can vouch for the damp newspaper dipped in ash advice for cleaning when needed.

Do any of you Osburn 2400 insert users have any pictures of us to see? I would enjoy seeing them!

I've got pics I just can't figure out how to post them under 200KB. Figures I just get this stove and its over 70 degrees today, and will be in the 60's the next few days. Supposed to be back to highs in the 30's next week. Oh well, there's always next year.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!! Looks very nice! (and cozy) I know how the dog feels! Got to love it!!

Careful guys... Osburn manuals suck... Poke around here and look for my post on the Osburn manual problems. They state that 840 degrees is o.k. on the 1800i "cook surface" if that surface is that hot the brick inside the stove is beginning to do nuclear fision.

If you do not have a picture imaging program then e-mail them back to you That process usuallly reduces them down below the 200 kbs then copy them back in your picture file. then you should be able to post them here

i just tried the email back to myself to see if it reduced the size of a picture.
it doesn't work with comcast cable internet using outlook express

how about some new pictures with the camera set to the smallest size or 640 x 480

Well I really fired it up for the first time last night. Now although it only got down to around 40 last night the whole house was between 68 to 74 degrees just from the stove. The stove worked great and didn't use as much wood as I expected. Some of the wood I used was seasoned and ready to go but a few pieces needed some more time to dry out, but the Osburn still managed to burn thru the "wet" pieces. Put the last piece on at around midnight and still had enough coals left at 8am to start up again. And that was without even coming close to stuffing the firebox full. Hopefully we'll get some cold weather again (supposed to by Wednesday) soon so I can really give it a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.