It's nice to have options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itworks

Jul 23, 2008
Southwestern CT
Coming to the end of my 5th heating season having a pellet stove in my home. I started this season having 5 1/2 tons of pellets stacked neatly in my garage. My first 4 seasons with the pellet stove I burned 24/7, and generally burned 4-4 1/2 tons annually. This year I started to use HHO in January when I was able to purchase HHO@$2.25 per gal. I just filled my tank @$1.76 per gal. and currently my 330 gal tank is full, and I have approximately 3 1/2 tons of pellets left. I would purchase another 2 tons of pellets if prices were to drop to about $200 per ton delivered(very doubtful). I'm also considering installing another 330 gal tank in my garage this summer so that I can take more advantage of the price fluctuations. I never dreamt we would ever see HHO and pellet prices soar to $4.50 per gal and $300 per ton respectively, but that definitely occurred in my locale during 2008-2009. I used to brag, and extolled to my friends and neighbors the cost advantages, albeit the "little work" envolved, of having a pellet stove. I still love having the stove, but I've learned this season that the greatest advantage of owing one is having a contingency plan to hopefully protect oneself from a spike in prices. I also share with many of you it's more enviromentally sound, it's better to spend our $$$$'s locally, and it's better not to send our $$$$'s to unfriendlies.........we all have our reasons and I respect all of them.

itworks said:
Coming to the end of my 5th heating season having a pellet stove in my home. I started this season having 5 1/2 tons of pellets stacked neatly in my garage. My first 4 seasons with the pellet stove I burned 24/7, and generally burned 4-4 1/2 tons annually. This year I started to use HHO in January when I was able to purchase HHO@$2.25 per gal. I just filled my tank @$1.76 per gal. and currently my 330 gal tank is full, and I have approximately 3 1/2 tons of pellets left. I would purchase another 2 tons of pellets if prices were to drop to about $200 per ton delivered(very doubtful). I'm also considering installing another 330 gal tank in my garage this summer so that I can take more advantage of the price fluctuations. I never dreamt we would ever see HHO and pellet prices soar to $4.50 per gal and $300 per ton respectively, but that definitely occurred in my locale during 2008-2009. I used to brag, and extolled to my friends and neighbors the cost advantages, albeit the "little work" envolved, of having a pellet stove. I still love having the stove, but I've learned this season that the greatest advantage of owing one is having a contingency plan to hopefully protect oneself from a spike in prices. I also share with many of you it's more enviromentally sound, it's better to spend our $$$$'s locally, and it's better not to send our $$$$'s to unfriendlies.........we all have our reasons and I respect all of them.
Good post! I couldn't agree with you more regarding having options and using these options to vote and support with your money.

BTW, if you're going to buy another oil tank, you should consider looking into 275 gal tanks. This is the most common size and can be found the cheapest. HD and Lowes carries the 275 and they are much cheaper than most dealers. It might be worth calling around to dealers or manufacturers as well because they will often offer scratch and dent tanks at steep discounts. You can also look into used tanks, but be careful as rot can be hidden. With that said, a lot of people converted over to NG last year (myself included) and have one or more unused tanks still kicking around. But I agree, it does make sense stocking up on cheap oil if you have the storage capacity. Hell, I still have about 500 gals myself and I don't even have an oil boiler hooked up any more! :cheese:

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the 275 gal tanks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.