I've got a reason to get ahead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Broken rt foot!! I twisted it yesterday morning taking out the trash! LOL I fractured the fifth metatarsal. So I'm really glad that I stocked up on wood last year so this year I'm not worried about it or have to buy it.

:exclaim: I Throw my back out once tossing a piece of paper into the trash can....so I know with health a piece of paper can bring you to your knees.

ckarotka said:
Broken rt foot!! I twisted it yesterday morning taking out the trash! LOL I fractured the fifth metatarsal. So I'm really glad that I stocked up on wood last year so this year I'm not worried about it or have to buy it.
Thats great!

It always pays to get ahead and be prepared. I found that out recently too. I have about 4-5 year supply of wood right now. Recently got the chance to deploy to Afghanistan to ensure our soldiers have top-notch support in the field. I may go over there several times throughout the next 3-4 years. So being ahead on firewood has paid off because I'm not so sure I will have time to cut wood for a few years.

smokinjay said:
:exclaim: I Throw my back out once tossing a piece of paper into the trash can....so I know with health a piece of paper can bring you to your knees.

Sucks dont it? About 5yrs ago I popped a disc in lower back reaching up to close a basement window,put me down for a week & light duty at work for 3 days once I returned. :mad: Only good thing is I missed out on that 2 day concrete pour on new high-rise building foundation,guys were dropping like flies during that gig lol

Late fall through early Spring is my down time (I'm on the road up to 150 days a year) so that's when I like to work on my wood supply for the coming years. It's also much cooler, therefore more comfortable to be working then than in the Houston area's sweltering summer heat. But last year, the very day after I got home from last trip for the year, I broke my ankle hanging a tire swing for my granddaughters. I did eventually get a little bit of work done - more than I should have. Then in January and February I had cataract surgery in both eyes so that took me out of the woods for a a few weeks.
The result is that I have been doing a lot of cutting lately when the temps are in the upper 90s. I just can't work all day like that but I'm slowly building up the supply and currently have two cords or so split and stacked, a couple of cords stacked in rounds, another cord "in the field" that I am still working on.

I only burn about a cord and a half a year. I'll soon have at least five cords processed. That's money in the bank. I have a whole lot more available to me that I can work on next year.... if I don't break something else.

Ya Buddy! I've got enough for this year and next stocked up and not much room for any more on my cookie cutter lot. I'm just amazed how I worked construction for almost 15 years and nothing, now I work in the medical field and have been to the hospital and er more in the last two years than ever before. This includes the kids so not sure if that count is fair.

That really hurts ckarotka. I hope you heal fast.

It is just one more example why I suggest everyone get 2-3 years ahead on their wood supply. Even more does not hurt. Can't cut for a while, that's okay because there is plenty already split and stacked ready to go into the stove. Talk about a great insurance policy!

Status
Not open for further replies.