I've never tried this weird felling technique; see video link

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
What are the advantages/disadvantages to the "tongue & groove" technique shown on YouTube, under "tree felling techniques"? See link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkgWFh9lDs

Darn. Can't make it "link". Copy & Paste. It's interesting. I note that their cutting a Palm, with which I have NO experience.

Regards,

Dexter

Man that grass cuts easy. Looks like it could have been done with a utility knife.

Kinda of neat alright, I may have to try it with the softwoods here. I think i would be making those side cuts with a smaller saw, so as to maximize control.

I have seen it before and on palm trees.

Okay, I've seen this before but I don't get it. The chain saw runs and the tree falls down. So how would this be better than our normal way of notching the tree? The old way uses one cut on the back while this uses three. The one cut is faster and probably more accurate . The tree still falls down. David

I guess there implying more control over the direction the tree will fall??

Seems like there making it more complicated than needed

Allows for insertion of a wedge on small diameter trees and or back leaners without pinching bar. Eye've tripple stacked wedges on a tounge before 2 get a serious back leaner 2 go. Pretty common practice.
Take an advanced Game of Logging course and they get into the nitty gritty of the cut.

Similar to the control you get with one of the Game of Logging techniques which I like better.

Being able to use a wedge on smaller trees instead of running a pull rope. I wonder if the "tounge" keeps it from twisting side to side at all.

btuser said:
Being able to use a wedge on smaller trees instead of running a pull rope. I wonder if the "tounge" keeps it from twisting side to side at all.

I would say that is exactly its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.