J�tul F 50 TL Rangeley - Anyone burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
Yeah, I know it's new on the market, but has anyone took the plunge on one yet?

We(she) narrowed the the field to J�tul or P.E.

I think the J�tul F-400 Castine MIGHT be too small - so we start looking at the Oslo and the T6.
It will be a corner install - no questions or doubts about it (yeah, C-4 will do wonders! :) ) but the
current plan is just about set in stone. I like the looks, reliability, reputation, and reviews of J�tul
in general and the F-500 in particular; she like the looks of the P.E. T6.

Since they both "look" close/similar (TL 50 vs T-6) and the J�tul F-500 & TL50 have the "same" output,
(70k BTU)

I'm just for some input - pros / cons; greatest thing since sliced bread/biggest P.O.S. since S.!

So far, as from what I read from the owners/installation manual; parts break down, on the TL50,
there seems to be too much "Mickey Mouse" motion going on, as respect to the secondary baffle,
to cause Murphy to show his ugly head. No, I havn't seen one "up close and personal" to get the
"feel" of it. Yes, granted, I would love to load from the top to keep from bending/stooping to load
from the front, ( the Olso would have the side door locked in my installation [with the "ash problems"])
I could (more than likely, will) build a raised hearth to bring either (T-6/F-500) up to a "comfortable"
height. In retrospect, I do like the top loading - reminds me of my Grandmas' wood cooking stove
that she had in the kitchen.(another LONG story . . .)

Thanks in advance,
P.J.

I saw it burning in Hershey Pa..... The dealer said he loved it so far! It was reading over 700 degrees while i was there. The glass was clean and the dealer showed me how easy it was to load from the top with a large load of wood. That being said...its a new product. Atleast we all know Jotul stands behind their products if there are any bugs.

I've been wondering the same thing and waiting to hear some reviews. I like the top loading feature, looks like a great design and would be easy on the knees. Maybe you should just take the plunge on the F 50 TL and be our guinea pig? ;-)

Todd said:
I've been wondering the same thing and waiting to hear some reviews. I like the top loading feature, looks like a great design and would be easy on the knees. Maybe you should just take the plunge on the F 50 TL and be our guinea pig? ;-)

As do I. Which is why I wish VC would get their act together. I would purchase an Encore to replace the Vigilant at some point if I had any faith in them.

jotulguy said:
[...] Atleast we all know Jotul stands behind their products if there are any bugs.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but this has not been my experience. My F 118 CB Black Bear had problems with interior baffle and burn plates twisting and cracking, with me following the operating instructions very carefully including never overfiring, and I just ended up selling it for $500 dollars. I was in touch with my dealer the whole time, even asking him to put me in touch with Jotul. The closest that became of that was my dealer 'representing' my interests in one or two conversations with a Jotul rep or tech person. Nothing whatsoever came from those conversations. All of this happened within the first 3 years of my brand new Jotul.

-Jeff

Todd said:

Nom - nom- nom

I like green, but... 2.5K isn't salad anymore! :snake:

jotulguy said:
At least we all know Jotul stands behind their products if there are any bugs.

Yes, they stand behind them so they can duck down to protect themselves... They didn't stand behind my F602 when it arrived damaged and the dealer failed to act. And there are some (ex) F118 owners who wouldn't agree with you, either.

@
Precaud & Jeffee

What kind of issues did both of you have - was it a Dealer or Jotul?

Jeffee - Did anything else come Jotul, or did they leave you about (an estimate in my area) 700 in the hole?

Precaud - Was it a dealer f-up/dropped the ball or Jotult?

I'm still a little leery about PE and current owner problems, but if Jotul is saying tuff S. to current owners, they'll be below
Vogelzang; US Stove; or any Chinese import, I'll buy an Englandar than and drive down to VA and pick it up! O.K.; MAYBE
she'll get over the B.K. Princess??? (gota love the dog house!)

I ran a PE spectrum for a couple of years; and was very happy/lucky to sell it for a decent price. The major problems with the stove were more or less rectified when I sold it - it was actually running fairly well. I just couldn't trust it!!
I replaced it with a Jotul Oslo (F500). It was a very sluggish stove to begin with, but with the help of the members of this forum I was convinced to add 5.5 feet of chimney. It now runs excellent, and I wouldn't part with it.

However....If you cannot load through the side door and must load through the front, I would recomment that you NOT go with the Oslo. Everytime you open the door you will have lots of ash falling on the ash lip and hearth - and if you swing the door all the way to the right, you will likely have (hot) ash falling on your floor. You will create a mess everytime you open the door!

The new Rangely looks good - the top load option would be great and easy!

PJF, in my case it was first the dealer and then Jotul who completely dropped the ball, for a stove that was so poorly assembled it did not burn correctly. As one who was a Jotul dealer back in the 80's, I was completely shocked.

I'm sure there are many cases where Jotul did the right thing. I am only suggesting you not go into a Jotul purchase with rose-colored glasses on.

Also, read previous posts here about the Rangeley in particular, and about buying a stove in general. That a particular model reminds you of something your grandparents used is a poor criteria to select a stove by. It feeds right into the hands of marketing departments who prey on such emotion-based buying. Please be much more practical in your approach. Be especially wary of "features" which add unnecessary mechanical complexity to the firebox. Simple is good.

PJF1313 said:
@
Precaud & Jeffee

What kind of issues did both of you have - was it a Dealer or Jotul?

Jeffee - Did anything else come Jotul, or did they leave you about (an estimate in my area) 700 in the hole?

Precaud - Was it a dealer f-up/dropped the ball or Jotult?

I'm still a little leery about PE and current owner problems, but if Jotul is saying tuff S. to current owners, they'll be below
Vogelzang; US Stove; or any Chinese import, I'll buy an Englandar than and drive down to VA and pick it up! O.K.; MAYBE
she'll get over the B.K. Princess??? (gota love the dog house!)

My issue was with Jotul, although I wish my dealer would have done more to help. (Or did they know that it wouldn't have been fruitful? I don't know) The stove worked great, my only problem with it was that interior burn baffles / plates could not take the heat. They started twisting and cracking within my second winter. The stove cost me $1500 at the time plus about $150 for shields, plus tax, plus $200 I was charged parts and labor for the second interior baffle replacement. I think you may be mistaken on your estimate -- these stoves are nearly $2,000 now.

I wish I could take the plunge on the new Jotul, but two dealers in my area (MA) do not expect shipment prior to the tax incentive deadline. I e-mailed a dealer who is in Gorham, Maine where these are being assembled, and was told they were on order and they may get a display in a few weeks.

For those of you who haven't seen the youtube video for the Rangeley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uUJUkILZ5Q

This is such a bummer. It had everything I want. I will probably purchase the PE T5.

bakedpotato said:
I wish I could take the plunge on the new Jotul, but two dealers in my area (MA) do not expect shipment prior to the tax incentive deadline. I e-mailed a dealer who is in Gorham, Maine where these are being assembled, and was told they were on order and they may get a display in a few weeks.

For those of you who haven't seen the youtube video for the Rangeley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uUJUkILZ5Q

This is such a bummer. It had everything I want. I will probably purchase the PE T5.

That's the same thing I hear from my dealer, early to mid January. But, In my case, I'm a little over my max for the refund, so that doesn't have an affect on my decision. I'm still undecided if I want to go with it, by atleat 2 factors : 1) Brand new design - I hate being a beta tester! 2) Too much/many moving parts to get gummed up, messed up alignment, break, troubleshoot.

But I will still reserve judgment until I can "touch" the unit, feel it's workings, see what can/will/may/could mess up when needed the most.

bakedpotato said:

Can't you purchase it before it arrives? In other words, pay for it, and get a receipt.

jeffee said:
bakedpotato said:

Can't you purchase it before it arrives? In other words, pay for it, and get a receipt.

AFAIK -

The "appliance" (stove) MUST be in service before the dead line; 31 Dec 10.

My take is that it should be making heat at 23:59:59 on 31 December, 2010; NO pre-orders/pre-installes/waiting on the dealer/installer to put it in.

I M A Y B E W R O N G

others should/will chime in on the IRS details.

we have 2400 sq ft to heat with lots of doublepane... and 22 ft ceilings. at 6000 ft in central arizona so not too rough.. and want to do this with wood. we were looking into a great deal on a morso 3610 but with 60k btu max we felt it might not be enough. so, the jotul f 50 tl came up. has the added features people mention (e.g., top loading, cook top etc) and 70k btu. i have only owned a regency hearth heater so this is new territory. someone mentioned it had to be 'in service" and i too had read that on an EPA website... but a jotul press release says otherwise: http://www.jotul.us/en/wwwjotulus/Tools/Press-releases/?mode=PrintMode

asserts, purchase date must be this year. we have learned that it won't be available until late jan / early feb in our area.

we will likely wait and run the jotul over the less intense morso 3610 but WE ARE VERY OPEN TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS. thanks. pete

pms1 said:
we have learned that it won�t be available until late jan / early feb

That's what my local Jotul dealer said too. So I gave up on getting a top-loading Jotul and focused on non-cat offerings from Pacific Energy, Vermont Castings, Harman, Lopi and Quadra-fire. In the end, I think I'll go with a Harman TL300 or Oakwood, mainly because the only dealer in our state happens to be running specials, whereas every other wood stove dealer is not offering any sales due to the tax credit, plus this Harman dealer only charges $200 for the delivery and installation, which is sweet.

Anyway, the Jotul dealer, John M. (the inventor of the electric Draw Collar) managed to get in a handful of Rangeleys this past week. I sauntered in this evening and got to see and feel one. I'm impressed. I may have this wrong, but the all steel firebox wrapped in cast iron reminds of the floating firebox that Pacific Energy touts as the cat's meow. But my dealer told me the Rangely was $2499, which is a deal-breaker for me; I'd rather keep it at $2k or less. I thought someone else on this forum quoted the suggested retail as $2149. So that was a bummer.

I love that the Rangeley is top or front-loading, comes with adirons, and the top "cooking" plate is a massive, milled work of beauty.

If I read it correctly the 50 TL comes with an option for the cast iron sides. Maybe that's why it was a higher price? Does anyone know the pricing on the all steel unit and the optional cast sides?

Just completed the break-in fires for my new Rangely 50 TL. Impressive heat output and primary air control. Although my woodstove hearth, stove, and chimney project has taken two years, I am most satisfied with the draft from my chimney which was the main concern from the first floor of a two story. I played with the top load and it is awesome so far, no smoke out of the baffle, and the cookplate makes it even more appealing. This is a nice stove...I'll keep you posted. Next up is 500 degrees!
Merry Christmas to all, Jim

jrcurto said:
Just completed the break-in fires for my new Rangely 50 TL. Impressive heat output and primary air control. Although my woodstove hearth, stove, and chimney project has taken two years, I am most satisfied with the draft from my chimney which was the main concern from the first floor of a two story. I played with the top load and it is awesome so far, no smoke out of the baffle, and the cookplate makes it even more appealing. This is a nice stove...I'll keep you posted. Next up is 500 degrees!
Merry Christmas to all, Jim

Thanks Jim.

I still haven't "felt" one as of yet. I've got all the time in the world, so I can wait until late winter/early spring for my install.

I will bug you every once in a while to see how you are making out with it.

Can you tell us more about your flue set up? Top/rear vented? Interior/exterior chimney? Masonry or Class "A" chimney?
A couple of pics would be nice also ;-) !

Thanks again, and a Merry Christmas to you.

Hello Jim, and thanks for the summary of your Jotul F50 TL stove. I too am extremely interested in this stove. I like the all steel welded construction, the rear flue, cook top, top loading option, and that it is completely manufactured here in the states. I was just at my dealer, and no Rangeleys have shipped to him yet. He hopes to have some no later than mid March. I guess I have to reread your post because I can't remember if you got the cast iron sides, or not. I'm leaning to a cast iron side one. Maybe some convection heat, and I think it looks much more appealing. From what I have read, this stove is welded 5/16" plate, whereas many welded stoves are 1/4". This is inline with top manufactures, such as Lopi. Just built more stout. I too am wanting to see some pictures when you have time to post them. This stove has all the makings of becoming another great Jotul stove. I found some pictures on the web, so I'll try and post them here. Thanks again, and keep us up to date on the Rangeley.

IH3444

Attachments

• 4772559433_ec5795c178_b.jpg
    4772559433_ec5795c178_b.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,861
  • 4772559031_43b5c1d2a3_b.jpg
    4772559031_43b5c1d2a3_b.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,661
  • 4772558115_fceb086214_b.jpg
    4772558115_fceb086214_b.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,657
  • F_50_TL_prod02.jpg
    F_50_TL_prod02.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,748
IH3444 said:
Hello Jim, and thanks for the summary of your Jotul F50 TL stove. I too am extremely interested in this stove. I like the all steel welded construction, the rear flue, cook top, top loading option, and that it is completely manufactured here in the states. I was just at my dealer, and no Rangeleys have shipped to him yet. He hopes to have some no later than mid March. I guess I have to reread your post because I can't remember if you got the cast iron sides, or not. I'm leaning to a cast iron side one. Maybe some convection heat, and I think it looks much more appealing. From what I have read, this stove is welded 5/16" plate, whereas many welded stoves are 1/4". This is inline with top manufactures, such as Lopi. Just built more stout. I too am wanting to see some pictures when you have time to post them. This stove has all the makings of becoming another great Jotul stove. I found some pictures on the web, so I'll try and post them here. Thanks again, and keep us up to date on the Rangeley.

IH3444
May I ask what dealer you went to? Because I have seen this stove burning in Hershey all redy. I would think they could get one earlier then march.

I can't help it. Every since this stove was announced all I can think about is that Monessen started making steel stoves in Vermont after they bought VC and VC's foundry has been making some castings for Jotul for a long time now. Am I looking at a VC made stove designed by Jotul? :)

Makes not a wit of difference but inquiring minds want to know.

BrotherBart said:
I can't help it. Every since this stove was announced all I can think about is that Monessen started making steel stoves in Vermont after they bought VC and VC's foundry has been making some castings for Jotul for a long time now. Am I looking at a VC made stove designed by Jotul? :)

Makes not a wit of difference but inquiring minds want to know.
VC started pouring cast Jotul this spring. All the R&D for both companies is separate. They just pour into Jotul's molds.

Status
Not open for further replies.