January Mosquitos in you split pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting mosquito bites on my feet. Its January and its below freezing here. I'm noticing that the little flying buggers that are dormant on the splits are coming to life when they come in the house. Lady bugs, spiders and mosquitos. Anyone else experience this?

How many btu's in a mosquito?

We've been having a more than normal amount of mosquitoes in the house this year when we bring in wood. Probably related to our wet summer and large increase of mosquitoes. Ours don't seem to be to hungry but they are large which makes them an easy kill. No blood!! be safe.
Ed

I don't think I've ever brought a mosquito in with the wood.
Plenty of other bugs, though.
Most seem to want to escape.
Maybe I smell funny.

Plenty out in the woods on a warm enough day though. Ankle height, mostly.

Were dealing with those dang beetle bugs that look like lady bugs. They are all over our wood pile. I mean I can pick up some splits that propably have 500 of those ?!?!?! bugs on it. It is getting old having to bang each split on the ground before carrying it into the house, and you never get them all off. One other thing that happened is I had a couple spits that were just loaded with them in a crack, didn't see them till the wood was in the house, those splits went staight into the stove and you talk about the stinch that flashed off of them.

We've never noticed any mosquitoes come in with the wood but see them outdoors at various times during every winter.

cre73 really nailed it though. Every piece of wood has to be inspected. We get enough in the house every fall without bringing more inside with the wood. Nasty things they are.

I don't seem to have a problem with bringing in bugs that wake up. Then again, I don't bring wood in from the cold until it is going to the stove before it thaws out. <hint, hint>

Killed a couple skeeters in the house last week. Wife wants to fog the yard in the summer, and all that crap. Waste of time.
I stack about a weeks worth of splits on the front porch, bang 'em together when moving. I STILL find spiders in the stack. Buggers are tough.
We have water on the property, and it stagnates after spring thaw. The mosquitoes will just keep coming.
Just shoot yourself now before the weather breaks.

I posted a thread on this not to long ago. I've killed probably a dozen or so but luckily I havnt noticed any bites. The ones i've killed didnt appear to have snacked either as there was no blood evident at the time of squishing.

jj3500 said:
I'm getting mosquito bites on my feet. Its January and its below freezing here. I'm noticing that the little flying buggers that are dormant on the splits are coming to life when they come in the house. Lady bugs, spiders and mosquitos. Anyone else experience this?

Start sleeping with your feet under the blankets :p

Status
Not open for further replies.