John Deer 2032R and Belly Mower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Replacing our Mitsubishi MT18 with John Deer 2032R because it's just too small. We own 10ac with about 5ac of Grass. We do our own Snow Removal with Tractor and Back Blade and Snowblowers (1200ft driveway). Getting 72" Front Blade on Tractor with Hydraulics. To make this expensive Tractor more useful and stop all the wear and tear on our 54" Husqvarna was thinking of just getting 72" Belly Mower from JD. (72D 7-Iron Mid Mount Mower).

Other option is going the traditional bush hog. Only about 1/3 the cost. But more pain in the Butt (I am almost 65 years old)

But it's damn expensive. $6400 plus. Now it won't be difficult to pay for it. But I am looking for what is best.

Anyone using one of these?

R.jpg

R.jpg

Reactions: duramaxman05
If it was me and I wanted to use the tractor for mowing I would go with a 72 inch three point finish mower. I myself hate belly mowers pain to put on and take off and a pain to clean them out. I had a 30 HP Agco for about fifteen years I bought it used with three hundred hours on it. It came with a belly mower. Belly mower went in the shed and was there until I sold the tractor two years ago. New owner was going to use it. I always used three mowers on it a bush hog style and a finish style mower. Did a lot of spot spraying with that tractor in the summer time it had five thousand hours on it when I sold it.

Thanks good Info. I have 54" Zero Turn for Finish Mowing. Just want to do the field for Fire Danger. Cars are on the Field and behind building on left. I Only do 1/2 now.

IMG_20220623_112951800.jpg

Watching. No advice on what's best for your field, although I'll be blown away if a 72" MMM wins.

I actually sold the 72" MMM I had received free with a prior Deere tractor, as I never saw any good reason to use it. Kept the brush hog for field and woods, and a 60" ZTrak for the lawn. Much better combo, for my needs, but I'm not doing a wide open field, either.

The 3 point hitch finish mowers do a good job. The belly mount would be my last choice. A brushhog will take care of things as well , just a bit harder on the grass and it's health. Also the finish mower is able to cut at a lower height typically than a brush hog type.

Mostly I grow Noxious Weeds. Some Bunch Grass Mixed In. Lots of Knappweed. Hard on it would be good! Thanks Everyone. Will not be getting belly mower. Bush Hog will be 1/3 the price at most.

Reactions: Gearhead660
If you weren't in Wa, I'd offer to sell you mine! One trouble with a 2032R is it's size, as it's a pretty small tractor to carry the typical 60" brush hog you're going to find everywhere on Craigslist and FB Marketplace, unless you happen to have ZERO hills or inclines. I actually have a nice little Woods 48" rotary mower (aka Brush Hog) which is ideal for that machine. I think I've only ever used it twice, as I sold the machine for which I bought it, shortly after getting the thing. It's even set up for iMatch!

Darn, 48" is the perfect size I was thinking too. Thanks. Glad I got good advice on belly mower. I had hard time with the $$$$. I was hoping it came in Gold Color instead of Green to Justify It. Tractor is 44k with 60" Blade and Hydraulics and Bucket. But Wife wanted "Green". So it's Green One. I was happy with Branson. But She does the Tractor work most of the time. Keep her Busy.

I negotiated the acquisition of two green and yellow machines into the purchase of my house, from the prior owner, he didn't need them anymore. I've since traded up twice, but have just stuck with Deere, as I've grown some affinity to them. Even the Woods mower is painted green and yellow:

IMG_7473.JPG

But I'm usually not a brand junkie on anything, I'd consider Exmark on mowers and Kubota on CUT's equal to Deere in every way, and would be just as happy with them. Although I do like Deere's dual-pedal hydro controls better than the Kubota treadle.

Darn, 48" is the perfect size I was thinking too. Thanks. Glad I got good advice on belly mower. I had hard time with the $$$$. I was hoping it came in Gold Color instead of Green to Justify It. Tractor is 44k with 60" Blade and Hydraulics and Bucket. But Wife wanted "Green". So it's Green One. I was happy with Branson. But She does the Tractor work most of the time. Keep her Busy.
Dang, 44k for a 2032r? We give around $28k for our 3033r with 320r loader and 2 sets of wheel weights. In 2022. As far as belly mowers go, 72in, how flat is your yard? If it is mostly flat, they do ok. Neighbors has a deere 997 with 72in and on the flat part it does good but on the hills its too big. It scalps. Also it does better if the grass is shorter. When he mows when the grass when it's tall, it looks horrible. It's a lot of grass to spit out of the shoot. It will only fan it out so far. It doesn't have enough blade speed to fan it out to where it looks descent. Don't know how a belly mower on a tractor would do.

Dang, 44k for a 2032r? We give around $28k for our 3033r with 320r loader and 2 sets of wheel weights. In 2022. As far as belly mowers go, 72in, how flat is your yard? If it is mostly flat, they do ok. Neighbors has a deere 997 with 72in and on the flat part it does good but on the hills its too big. It scalps. Also it does better if the grass is shorter. When he mows when the grass when it's tall, it looks horrible. It's a lot of grass to spit out of the shoot. It will only fan it out so far. It doesn't have enough blade speed to fan it out to where it looks descent. Don't know how a belly mower on a tractor would do.
We are going with Bush Hog after all the Advice and Though. Frontier RC2060 Lift-Type Rotary Cutter 1XFRC20XCN0209149. Our Back 2ac is flat and been mowing with Zero Turn Mower. 2ac behind that needs some work. We have landscape rake to do away with gopher holes. Prices have Gone Up for Everything. By the time you add on Loader, Hydraulics for It, It gets really expensive. Even Kubota was expensive, not less than Deer. And Branson was even less. John Deer dealer seems great. Kubota dealer looked great. Branson dealer would not even come out and show the tractors. Worthless. John Deer Dealer let Wife get on the Tractor and Drive it. No so with Kubota. Guess who got the sale.

Here is the Prices.

1 X JOHN DEERE 2032R Compact Utility Tractor (25 PTO hp) 1LV2032RCNN125172 \I0\ $ 29,418 00
1 X LVB25976 iMatch™ Quick-Hitch Category 1 with adjustable top hook $ 456 50
3 X LP19969 iMatch™ Bushing Kit $ 119 97
1 X BLV10640 Engine Coolant Heater Kit $ 66 00
1 X BXX10968 3rd Function Selective Control Valve $ 1,200 98
1 Rim Guard Ballast $ 350 00
1 X JOHN DEERE 220R Loader \P1\ \I1\ $ 5,108 89
1 X BXX10213 3rd Function Selective Control Valve $ 1,187 38
1 X Frontier AF11E - 6 Ft. Boom Mounted Front Blade with Manual Angle for Current 300/400/500 Series Carrier 1XFAF11ECN0011044 \I2\ $ 3,070 69
1 X 5FP10726 Hydraulic Angle Kit for 6 Ft. and 7 Ft. AF11E $ 905 31
1 X Frontier RC2060 Lift-Type Rotary Cutter 1XFRC20XCN0209149 \I4\ $ 2,759 29

TOTAL CASH PRICE $ 44,643 01

I didn't want to say it, but was thinking the same, the price seemed at least $15k - $20k too high to me. I took delivery on mine in early 2020, but I paid $34,074 for a 3033R with 320R loader + mid-PTO (huge upgrade cost) + 3rd channel hydraulics + Power Beyond hydraulic loop + kit to bring 3rd channel out to the loader JDQA point (grapple, plow tilt), 72" frontier plow + heavy-duty 62" bucket + block heater + loaded tires + a few other options I'm forgetting.

They also quoted me a 2038R, and I can't find the paper on that anymore, but I know it was at least $10k less than the 3033R, as I spent quite awhile hemming and hawing over which to buy. The 2032R/38R are great machines, I really preferred the ergonomics of them for lawn chores. But the 30xx's are just so much bigger and heavier in every way, better for my log-moving chores. I wish I had spare garage space to just have both!

I believe things have gone up, but I wouldn't use list pricing on the JD site as a basis for anything. List prices were also higher than what I paid in 2020. My invoice shows a $2185 discount on the base unit + another $1650 discount for a promotion they were running at the time + a third discount on the first implement (72" plow). No one pays the list prices stated on the JD site.

Note, I'm also not saying the pricing you got isn't good. It may very well be where the market is today. I'm just surprised how much higher it is than three years ago, but that was pre-COVID, and we've had the same conversation with regard to stove pricing many dozens of times recently. Everything has gone up.

Bought eggs, recently? ;lol

fabfa0b6290a863883d60176baf1bdac73d994d63cc286746d29b4e4cd44fdd6_1-jpg-jpg.780841

Last edited:
I tried. No Tractor even in Stock. Have to have it shipped from Oregon to Idaho.

Try pricing Harmon XXV. I paid $3,100 for mine in 2018. They are 2k More Amazing how much things are MORE $$$$. Of course the raise we get don't cover it too. Got the 8.7% raise like everyone else on SSA and such.

Personally I found Branson Tractor good enough, if not for their Attitude. Not even getting out of their Chairs. Too Busy with their Phones.

Should last us rest of our Lives this JD. My Son will apprecaite it. John Dawson. If we even have it in 25 years. (I should last that long I hope, 65 this year).

I have not noticed Eggs going up here. Still about $2.39 for 18 of them last I remember or was it $2.89?

Rotary cutters work great on fields. They're pretty bulletproof and inexpensive. You can probably find one for less at somewhere other than the Deere dealer especially if you don't care about the color matching.

Rotaries cut the grass near the base and don't chop up the stalk. If your fields are nicer you may not like the windrows that the rotary leaves behind. A flail mower will chop up the stalks and not leave windrows. But they cost more and need more maintenance.

The Deere "quick change" front implement attachment for the loader is not nearly as common as the skid steer type that everyone else uses. It will limit who you can buy front implements for.

The Deere "quick change" front implement attachment for the loader is not nearly as common as the skid steer type that everyone else uses. It will limit who you can buy front implements for.
Note this is a hotly-debated topic, and while this statement is often repeated by those who don't actually own a Deere, it's just as often refuted by those who do. In my own shopping for implements, it's pretty uncommon to not find JDQA offered right alongside SSQA on new implements. Looking at used implements being sold by small landowners around here, there's a lot more JDQA in the sizes I'm actually buying, than SSQA.

The flip side could be said if you're buying construction equipment, you're likely to find more SSQA than JDQA, there.

It may differ depending on your location. I don't see much JDQA stuff selling used here. JD compact tractors are not all that common here, it's primarily Kubotas. JD sells a lot of big farm equipment to large farmers but those don't use the CUT QAs.

I see the larger implement makers/sellers offering JDQA but the smaller ones often do not.

Yeah, I'd guess it varies a lot by local popularity of a given brand and their dealer support. Around here, I'd guess more than 90% of the small farm tractors (actually, maybe more than 95%), and probably 70%+ of CUT's are Deere. Some say it's because the Mennonites won't buy a 'flashy red' machine (eg. Farmall and Case), but I think it's just because the biggest local dealer network is Deere (one family owns 5 locations). Whatever the reason, I seem to see more JDQA than SSQA around here, on implements aimed at CUTs under 40 hp.

Conversely, the town where I grew up seems to be all Kubota CUT's. There's a big Kubota dealership in that town, who is also the biggest OPE dealer on many other brands, serving industry, landscapers, and homeowners.

Local dealership preference is always key in determining brand popularity. Just like stoves, I guess!