Jotul 118 opinions, comments and price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been given the opportunity to buy a nice, but older Jotul 118. I have a studio less than 200 sf. that is chilly, appart from the rest of the shop. I know the stove is not EPA approved, but have always thought of them as better than most. Would like opinions about purchasing it and using it for those days I need to heat, but not as a steady diet. I already have a stove, I don't use, so this would be a replacement into a two year old 6" SS chimney. The other stove is too big and cooks everything.

It's a Best Offer deal, so what is reasonable?

Good stove, but it will roast you out of a 200 sq ft room unless you only intend to make smaller, short fires. What is the current stove in there?

Current stove is a 10 year old Lopi, not sure the model, but it's about a 2.5cf box. I can't build a small enough fire to use it. I thought the Jotul would work for short burn, pine and pinion fires to take the edge off, not for extended heating. I don't spend more than three of four hours at a time working on a design, so a quick to heat and 1-3 hour burn would work great.

Any idea on value?

The 118 is a pretty serious box stove that can heat a 2000 sq ft house if it's well insulated. It will be pretty quick to heat, but I'd look for the smaller Jotul 602 instead. It will heat the space up in no time. They can be found for under $200 and show up frequently. Just be sure to look at it carefully for any cracks and/or warped interior plates. VC Aspen is also in this size range.

Are you in the SW? What state?

Webmaster said:
I'd have to concur with BG - if that lopi is way too big, the 118 probably is.

These stoves are nice though, makes you want to start a collection just for display.

Hmmmmm, that's an interesting idea. Maybe I can create a quick connect for the flues, install mobile bases and choose the stove for the day from the gallery.

Thanks for the information, I see from the data the Jotul would be just as overpowering as the Lopi. I still may buy it and han on to it for trading. It's a very nice green, and it is in great condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.