Jotul 118 side panel question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCT

Jan 14, 2012
Northern CT
I have a 118 which I bought new 25-30 years ago, that has a cracked side panel, not the burn plate but the stove side itself. This is the model with the scene on the side. I bought a brand new panel from a stove shop, he claimed he had some left over stock or something. So I took the stove all apart, cleaned off all the old furnace cement bought new cement, bolts etc. and decided to dry fit the parts just to make sure and low and behold the new panel is different; it's much thicker and the hold down flanges where it's bolted to the base are in slightly different locations.
This has only two flanges for the burn plates so it resembles a non UL type. The seller calims his panel is original and my stove is a Japanese knock off. I bought this stove from an authorized Jotul dealer who was pretty well known at the time and I believe still around today.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? There's no way this new panel will fit.

Thanks

Does your stove say Jotul on the door and have the Norwegian wood burner's prayer in Norwegian above the door like this? If so, I think you are probably correct.

118.jpg

It sounds like you need a pre-UL side panel.

Do you know for sure if the pre UL ones were thinner? The different mounting locations might be on purpose to prevent people from mixing them on the same stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.