Jotul 3 CB Burned back plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thanks for the great forum. I saw another thread with a similar problem to mine, but it didn't help me.

I have a year 2000 3 CB I bought new. after a while the catalytic converter began to sag. This year, the back burn plate burned through in the top center to within 3 inches of the bottom. I did my own installation approved before and after by the fire department, inside my fire place.

So I figured time to fix her up, and pulled it out and started removing parts. I got the top, door, and converter out, and figured the burn plate would just lift out. It doesn't even budge. after several frustrating bouts I finally got a screwdriver underneath the side burn plate which would be on my left when I'm facing the stove looking into the door. It raises up about an inch and the top hits the cast ear on the back panel which has a bolt notch in it. I have been messing with this for two weeks off and on, and I'm ready to use it for a mooring.

I called Jotul in Maine, and they refuse to give me any information because I'm not a dealer. The dealer where I bought it seems to know nothing. for the price I paid for this stove and the cost of the replacement parts, you'd think they would be more helpful. Desperate, I removed the left side of the stove, and now that I see the compound in there I'm sorry I did. I can't believe this thing is designed so complicated.

Any tips or ideas appreciated.

Could this be a model 3TDIC? You're right, that is a complicated stove in comparison to the model 3CB. I haven't torn down this stove and it's hard to say looking at the parts diagram, but I'm wondering if the back burn plate is held captive at the base by the bottom burn plate?

It would seem so. and according to the diagram, you can't get to the bolts to remove the back wall without removing the bottom grate, which is held by the side burn plates, which are holding the back burn plate. It's just one big circle. I know there's a key someplace to unlock it all, I just can't find it. I can dismantle and rebuild an entire car and can't figure out a stove. Jeez.

The original owners manual only says "Joyul 3 CB" and is stamped March 18 1999.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you download the 3TDIC manual? Is this your stove? You might want to ping Craig (webmaster) to see if he has done/seen a rebuild on this stove. FWIW, I'd probably strip it down all the way and do a full rebuild. If at all possible, try to get some of that great seam compound from Jotul. It's tough stuff.

3TDIC doesn't appear anywhere on the manual that came with it. It just says Jotul 3 CB. At this point, I might as well do a complete rebuild. But I still can't do that til I figure how to get it apart. If I have to, I'll drag it to the garage and fire up the cutting torch and take the burn plates out in pieces until it reveals something. Going back together with the new parts will be self explanatory I suppose.

Thanks for trying, I'll let you know how it works out. The dealer said all the parts I wanted (converter, 3 burn plates, front grate, insulation) are available except the back burn plate, which will be in Oct 1st.

By chance, is your model the F3 CB? If so, here are links to the exploded parts diagram, the manual and the parts list. Good luck, that sounds like a big job that you have ahead of you.

http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 3 CB/Exploded_view_F_3_F_3_USA_P12_050107.pdf

http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 3 CB/Manual_F3_USA_P06_240407.pdf

http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 3 CB/Spareparts_F_3_F_3_USA_P25_100407.pdf

Can't get those links to open, but after reading some other threads I found this...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Jotul_Stoves_-_Identify_Older_Models/

and by the picture chart, it seems that it is indeed a 3 TDIC - 2 AP

My brother stopped by today and wrestled with it a bit. He finally got the one side plate which I had moving to come out. I guess he's not as scared about breaking anything since it's not his stove. HA! So it seems what I'm up against is that the plates are all so warped, that each one is not only behind adjoining plates, but over them as well. Just thought I'd give an update. I have the exploded parts list which came with the owners manual. I guess I just have to keep wrestling with it until it submits or breaks.

WOW! Sorry for the multiple posts, but we all just got a little smata. :)

Amazing when you're not worried about breaking it what you can accomplish in a short time. It took about 10 minutes, a cats claw? and several various size screw drivers to use as wedges, and a lot of tapping. I wedged small drivers in as the lines became open between plates, and then larger ones, and had the cats claw (shingle tool?) under the edge of the back plate using the bottom grate for leverage and kept tapping on it with a hammer. As the back plate started lifting on the right side, I kept inserting screw drivers wherever they would fit to move the back plate away from the other interfering plates.

Heres how it comes apart. To avoid confusion with L eft and R ight, we will call the Right side the side your right hand would be at if you sat in the stove and looked out the window, like in a car, since I'm car oriented.

After removing the top and front door, the Right side burn plate comes out. Then the back burn plate, and then the Left burn plate. The bottom grate will then lift straight up easily.

Okay, I can still use a little help with information. I suspect when I get the new parts they will go in easy since they will be straight, not warped. My question is, I have one side of the stove removed which will need new cement to seal it? I'm guessing the other side might have hair line leaks in the cement (if that's what it's called). Should I just clean the inside with soapy water and run a bead with my finger on all the joints? Or remove the other side, and front and back and re seal/cement the entire stove? I'm not feeling real confident with that, but since I've come this far will take an expert opinion and do it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

There ya go. It'll be hard to match Jotul's nice ceramic joint cement. I used Rutland gasket and stove cement in the corners when I put the 602 back together. I put a good bead on the edges before reassembly, then smoothed it into the corners once it was put back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.