Jotul 3TDIC-2... is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leslief

Oct 27, 2010
Maine
Hi everyone,

I need some help deciding if we should buy a 1990 Jotul 3TDIC-2 that's available at our local Restore. I've already put our name on it, and have to decide by tomorrow whether we are buying it or not. I spent the weekend learning about the stove and am now not sure. It's for use in a 12 x 12 (with a loft) "weekend" cabin. There are no cracks in the stove and the plates are all straight and in good shape. I haven't looked at the cat yet (just learned about them), but can check on it today. I don't expect it to be in good shape but you never know. The stove also needs new seals. The thing that bothers me the most is that the damper mechanism is missing. The previous stove owner rigged up a rod to open and close the damper but you have to open the top (while it's hot!) to get to it. I looked up the prove and we can get a new damper mechanism for about $85.00 (plus shipping). We might need the bracket, too for another $20.00. Another possible problem is the flu pipe is now coming out the back. We'd like to change it to come out the top so it can be closer to the wall but I'm worried that the screws will be hard to get out after if it's been that way for 20 years. The cat thing is annoying, too.. but for the little amount we will use it a new cat will probably last forever for us. I like the idea of being green.

It's a very pretty white enamel stove... comes with a screen for fire viewing. I admit that aesthetics play a big part for us in purchasing a stove for the cabin. We want to be able to see the fire and get that fireplace feel. I like the enamel and I even like the look of the chips on the paint as it matches the cabin rustic theme. We would use it on the weekends that we go to the cabin. We like the idea of being able to view an open fire but I can't find anything online about how that effects the running of the stove. Would the stove get too hot with the draft from the open door?

The current price is $310, but I think they will come down if I explain the costs of what the stove needs. (they themselves don't know much about it) I'm just wondering what a fair price would be to ask?

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions...

Leslie in Maine

Attachments

• jotul.jpg
    jotul.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,606
Lets see - $310 for the stove - another hunert for the damper and bracket - and hunert and fitty for the cat - 20 bucks in rope gasket - a 5 dollar bucket of stove cement - cussing at the stuck bolts for the replacement parts - small drill bit and easy out ($25).

$600 bucks for a 20 year old stove that your gonna have to work on. Dunno, but I personally think there are better deals out there to be had. Just one dudes opinion.

Why would you want that stove?
A brand spanking new F3CB retails for $1627 in Matte Black.
The 30% tax incentive drops that to $1139.
It's cleaner & you NEVER have to replace the CAT...
Just my $.02

As I posted for another user looking at a used wood stove, it hardly seems worth it unless you simply like the old stove (though 20 years hardly makes it classic). I purchased my Pleasent Hearth for $629 with the blower included and a 5 year warranty. Plus it's a non cat, so that rules out replacement cost for that.

I understand the recommendations to buy a new stove, but we're not interested in spending that much on a weekend cabin stove. We don't mind the project of it either. I really like refurbishing things. Was just wondering what a reasonable price would be... I was thinking of offering $100.00 for this one.

Also wondering about running it with the door open sometimes. Anyone here with the same model?

If the work doesn't scare you - and you could bring the price down, then why not. It was a well built stove. The point I was trying to make is that there are stoves on the used market that for 500 bean pods, could be dropped in place and lit. If this thing hits a warm, fuzzy spot in your heart - that alone is reason enough.

That sounds like a fair offer. For a hundred, it could be a fun project. Removing the old bolts is not that hard. Expect them to break off, drill out the old stub and re-tap and replace.

Thanks for all the responses. We've been scouring the used market for a month or so.. craigslist.. Uncle Henrys (Mainers know), etc. and haven't found anything that we like for a decent price. We keep coming back to this stove.. guess we already have an attachment to it. We're going to Restore this afternoon to look it all over closely and make our offer.

Leslie in Maine

We decided to pass on this stove after all. On closer look, there were other parts that needed replacing... baffle was warped, damper pin bent all out of shape. Added a couple hundred dollars more to the cost. We have a little ice shack stove that we'll use until we find another stove we like.

Thanks for the earlier responses.. really appreciate it.

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.