JOTUL 450 Kennebec - Sweeping Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blowell

Sep 24, 2010
N. Eastern MA
Does anyone know if the insert - JOTUL 450 Kennebec - must be removed to sweep the chimney? The insert is attached to a SS liner to the top of the chimney? I need to call a sweep, and would like to know what to expect before he "enlightens" me.

Thanks everyone!

If you have a full liner, looks like you can:

Canada Installations (Full Reline):
Remove the combustion baffle from the firebox by lifting it up and tilting it back down and out. The chimney can be swept directly into a bucket placed under the flue outlet.

daveswoodhauler said:
If you have a full liner, looks like you can:

Canada Installations (Full Reline):
Remove the combustion baffle from the firebox by lifting it up and tilting it back down and out. The chimney can be swept directly into a bucket placed under the flue outlet.

+1 Check manual you should be able to remove skamol plates then baffles. Sweep into bucket.

Edit: Does not look like 450 uses skamol plates, dave's got it right.

Unfortunately, I've never done this before. Manual is confusing to me. I would like to avoid pulling the entire unit out. There seems to be a plate (combustion baffle) above that moves, but doesn't want to slide over enough to let me get it out.

Thanks again daveswoodhauler and jatoxico - got exactly what I needed!

Glad you got it out. When your sweep comes out to your place, watch to see if they clean from the top or the bottom.
You might be a candidate to purchase a sootearter and clean it yourself and save yourself a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.