Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
I have a Jotul 550 insert installed in a 15x15 room with 11.5 ceilings. When I have the stove heated up and the blower running I feel a cool draft inside the room. I have no ceiling fan in the room to push the heated air down. Could this be my problem? The stove just doesn't seem to be heating as well as it should. Any suggestions or responses would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Glenn

Without knowing the house and floorplan, I would be guessing. This may be a convective current of air or it could be leakage.

If convective air, you should be able to track the flow. For example, with our stove going, at the staircase to upstairs I can feel a flow of cool air, low, descending the staircase, and a flow of warm air, high going upstairs. If both areas are measured, there is a significant difference in temperature.

If this is leakage from outside (windows, doors, possibly even the return air if there is a ducted warm air heating system?), then go around with an incense stick to the suspected sources of cool air and watch the smoke. The cool air source will be in the opposite direction that the smoke goes. Caulk, plug, insulate or curtain off that area.

Welcome to Hearth.com. I have the same stove in a room that is 23' by 27' with 8' ceilings. Right now the outside temp is 14 and the inside is 71. The house is well insulated and I have the same draft which comes upstairs from the room below,( house is a raised ranch) which generally is 62. When I run the Vermont casrtings vigilant Which is downstairs I don't have as noticeable a cold draft on the floor upstairs. If the stove is not heating as you want it it may be because of 1. not well seasoned wood 2. really packing the stove. There is a thread here titled, Jotul C550 rockland tips thread. A lot of good information there. Good luck

Sorry , for number 2 it should read NOT really packing the stove which should give you a much greater heat output. Most of the 550 owners I believe pack the stove tight .

We have cathedral ceilings in the family room and often feel a cold draft, even before getting the 550. Maybe more now. I think it is normal, and beneficial in a way,if you think of it the hot air is rising and the cold air is coming down from the upstairs rooms. This causes a natural air flow that more thoroughly heats the entire house, instead of one room. The cold air is being drawn to the stove. A ceiling fan on reverse (the button pushed up) will help push the hot air down. However, I figure if I feel cold air coming down that means the air is circulating. I know you figure you would be hot it the room with the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.